Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

(Dylan's POV)

"Why did we decide to schedule this today? Out of all days?"

            "We have to get this done as soon as possible. We have to notify the neighboring packs before the rogues decide it's a good idea to attack them, too."

            "Well, how noble of you," Tom scoffs sarcastically, "When did you decide to come to others' aids?"

            "Never," I say gruffly, quickening my brisk walk as a slightly shorter Tom struggles to stay by my side.

            "Would you slow down? Jesus, you're like the Flash," Tom says, his breaths coming out in puffs as he jogs by my side.

            "You need to train more." Is my only remark. "Maybe then you wouldn't be so out of shape."

            "I'm not out of shape!" he yells indignantly, "I'm sorry I'm not an Alpha hulk like you!"

            "There's a reason I made you my beta. Don't give me any reasons to regret appointing you," I warn, not once turning to face my best friend who's constantly begging for attention.

            Music to my fucking ears, my wolf says when Tom snaps his mouth closed.

            I agree with him, but we both turn stoic as the sight of the town center building comes into view. The scent of the Night Fury pack wafts up my nose and I'm able to confirm that bastard Eric and his dumb-shit beta have arrived. I squint and notice the Tainted Rain's alpha and Luna, arms linked as they grin at each other with sickeningly loving gazes.

            Mate, my wolf whines in my head, an image of a beaming Chloe popping into my mind. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, imaging her here with me, leaning into my side as the cold air nips at her exposed skin. A pang of longing resounds in my chest and I nearly smack myself.

            We just saw her sleeping, idiot. Calm yourself down, I snap at him, pushing down the rising emotions of my own.  I straighten my stance and open my eyes, continuing on from where I halted to a stop.

            "Dude seriously? Just as I'm catching up with you, you slow down? Now that's just plain mean."

            I smirk at the childish pout jutting Tom's lower lip out.

            "C'mon, baby Tom," I tease, "Just a wittle longer then you can have your blankie."

            He swats my hand away with a scowl and I chuckle.

            A few moments later of our bickering and we enter the thin, but decently tall steel building in the center square between the four packs. The elevator carries an anxious Tom chewing his fingernails off and me being bored out of my mind up to floor three. The elevator dings and pops open to revel a small office with five separate rooms. I head to the biggest one right in front of the elevator with the door ajar. At the round wooden table Spruce and his mate are seated on one of the longer sides with their beta and gamma, Eric and Tyler perched at one of the heads accompanied by their gamma whose name I have yet to learn. The Dark Wind's alpha, Bruce, is seated with his gamma and beta on the opposite side of Spruce.

            I know, I know. Spruce and Bruce. Their rhyming names cause them to get a lot of teasing, from which both of the Alphas don't necessarily appreciate. However, Spruce is a lot more easygoing, especially since he's had Elina glued to his side for the past two years.