❤Angel❤

Chapter - 2

Angel

‘How can I miss someone whom I haven't even met and won't be meeting ever?’ Was the question Naina had been asking herself since a long time now.

She was walking in the woods, her steps cracking the dry leaves fallen on the cemetery ground. The air was humid and she wished for some cool breezes in the atmosphere. The sun had set but there was still a reddish orange hue in the sky. She was carrying a telescope with herself , bearing the weight of its stand on her one arm. A bouquet of Pink Carnations tucked in her other arm, she started walking on a fast pace as she realized the person she was missing wasn't far now. Her shoes, which screamed red, were comfortable enough and she smiled in satisfaction. The money was spent wisely.

As she reached the gravestone, her breathing was uneven. She let the telescope and its stand rest on the ground on her right and took a deep breath. The humidity was palpable in the surrounding. She fluttered her long dark lashes upwards and her eyes focused on the carved name at the stone.

Jessica Williams.

Jessica was an angel in Naina’s life who helped her come out of the darkness that surrounded her. It was because of Jessica that Naina was now able to make all her dreams come true.

She owed to this girl and she wished everyday to know something more about Jessica.

‘Her friends might call her Jess’ she guessed as her eyes scanned a few notes of love written on the gravestone. Her knees bent down as she placed the bouquet at the side and prayed for ‘her Angel’s’ soul to rest in peace.  

Naina was grateful to Jessica and to God, for being able to live a brighter life. But she was sad at the fact that Jessica was no more.

Jessica Williams died three weeks ago in a watersport accident at Andaman beach.After her demise, her parents followed what their daughter had always wanted, that is to donate her eyes if her life was to end someday.

Naina Shroff, a tan girl in her twenties, blind by birth but having extreme potential for creating emotions by speech. She was a good orator and taught Braille at the School of Excellence for the Visually impaired. She was the one, to whom the eye bank gave the gift of sight. Naina now could see only through Jessica's eyes.

Paying the last bits of respect to Jessica, Naina stood up and felt the thin coldness in the air. It was totally dark now and she wondered how she didn't realize it. Time had again slipped by like all those times in the past week when she had come here. This was a routine. She had gotten the address of her eye donor’s burial from the hospital. It had been a week that she had been visiting Jessica’s gravestone, hoping against hope that something here might give away bits of what Jessica was like.

She had never seen her photograph.From what she had gathered from any available sources, She knew Jessica was a lot more like Naina herself.Adrenaline was the driving force for both of them. Jessica's parents had told her.

Jessica was working as a stuntswoman for some Media unit. Naina wondered how much Jessica's life resembled what she had always dreamt to live. She wished she knew Jessica.

Her eyes wandered around and rested on another bouquet of pink roses, they seemed to have dried. ‘Someone might have been here before I arrived.’ She thought.

Staring at those pink roses, she felt blessed to be able to see them. There was gratitude in everything that she did because she knew how it was like when life didn't value you if you don't value life. It was clear to her how looking and seeing differed from each other.