❤Connection❤

Chapter - 4

Connection

The more time you look at something, the more out of focus it becomes.

Dhruv kept staring into those eyes, attuned to a pleasant female presence of innocence in them. Those big dark brown eyes that now gazed back at him were haunting him every time he closed his eyes ever since that rainy night he encountered them, as alive as ever. He was worried that it wasn't anything but a figment of his imagination, that moment in the hut never happened and that his mind was playing tricks on him. He even seeked help from a middle aged Buddhism follower he knew in Guwahati and all he said was that Dhruv was in a shock from his girlfriend's demise. But those eyes had always chased him in his little sleep that he managed to get in the past one year and now suddenly out of nowhere, a girl sits on the counter, knocks off a glass and their hands are touching, their eyes are deep in an unknown conversation and his heart is hyper ventilating.

Why now? Why when he was trying too hard to do the impossible that is forgetting Jess and moving on, this girl has to appear and remind him of Jessica. That night in the dark when his wounds were fresh, he had freaked out and ran. But tonight he could see the girl and she was nothing like Jessica. His Jess never wore gorgeous dresses and still managed to look so pretty and cool with her tomboyish looks. But this girl in front of him was beautiful and he couldn't even shift his weight to the other side, couldn't move his hand away from hers and those damn eyes, he was sure they were Jessica's and he had questions on his mind and he was determined to get them tonight.

Who was this girl? Why would she appear in his life, specially today out of all days. It was the death anniversary of Jessica and he was working the night to keep himself from running to her grave and crying out so much that he wears off the whole night. He was trying to move on and now he wanted to keep his distance from all the things that can break him.

Right there in front of him was a danger under which he was sure he would be crushed. He could see the pain in those eyes, they were miserable, contrary to the environment they were in. She must be in some trouble.

Or

She must be the trouble.

The very thought made him allow a gush of breath and upon blinking he felt like he was doing that after a long span of time and that it wasn't the most natural thing to do. She wasn't blinking too, instead she was resiliently gazing at him still.

Definitely trouble.

Those eyes had the power to trap him and rob him off any sensible thought his mind can process. It was like he was gravitating towards the depths she possessed. The more time he looked the more unclear was his vision. His mind was clouded with memories of Jess now. The connection with this stranger was stretching and the visions he had been blocking away from so long came flooding inside his head.

He let go of her hand and he was back in the club, all the noises rushing in. The moment of seclusion with the beautiful girl standing appalled across the counter has broken and he knew he had to get out of the club. The walls were closing in on him and his breathing was shallow. He looked back at those eyes which were now worried for him. He didn't want to feel that way under those orbs like they knew him because surely he had never seen this girl before.

He tipped his fellow to cover for him and then he came out on the opposite side of the counter.

Naina was worried, her gaze wary as he came and held her hand. She dropped her stare to some design patterns on his wrist and soon she was being pulled out of the club through a back exit. Her breathing accelerated as she let him make his way into a dark alleyway.