8

Without fully realising it, I had dodged Harry for almost a week after the confrontation with Isabell. If she did see me she would smile, but I'd avoid her to avoid Harry.

Finally Harry pinned me at my locker. I was putting away my books when I saw him from the side of my vision.

My heart started hammering and the ball in the pit of my stomach grew. My throat tightened as I forced a convincing smile on my face. "Hey, what's up."

Harry glared. "After ditching me for a week all I get is a 'what's up'?"

"I've been busy with this college thing. And it's not like you haven't ditched without warning."

Harry sighed. "Not for a week. So what did I do?"

I looked at him after grabbing a book. "Nothing. I'm sorry."

Harry almost glared again. "Tomlinson, you are horrible at hiding your feelings."

My heart dropped and it suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe. "I don't feel good," I said, closing my locker. "I'm gonna go."

Harry grabbed my wrist before I could turn away. "Seriously, Lou. You'd tell me if something major was going on, right?"

I stared at him. "You know I would."

Harry nodded but didn't drop my wrist. I focused my eyes there for a second. "I'm always gonna be here, Lou. Even if you do leave me and Bella in this hell hole alone."

I smiled. "Same, Haz." I paused, not wanting to faulter but I did it anyways. "Love you, dude."

He grinned. "Love you, Lou."

If only it meant the same thing for each of us.

After that Harry let me go, and I slowly made my way to my car. I took a deep breath and sighed, running a hand through my hair.

Isabell didn't tell him. She was keeping her word.

I had to stop avoiding Harry.

Not that I enjoyed it, but the thought of him figuring out this love triangle thing would be way too complicated. He could push me away, he could hate me, my parents could find out, and I could have nothing.

This little crush was great when it was just in my head. Now that someone can acknowledge the fantasy, it scared the living shit out of me. It still changes nothing about how I felt, oddly enough. I would just do anything to keep him from finding out.

I sat down and gripped the wheel of the car. I needed to calm down. To think, to get a plan to hide the feeling, make it seem like this went away. Even if it doesn't, fake it.

I got home and smelled Mom's cooking. "I'm home," I yelled, setting my bag down before going to the kitchen.

"I'm gonna miss you saying that," Mom said as I stepped in the kitchen.

"Don't make it sappy yet, I still have a few months." I kissed her cheek then helped set the table just as she was pulling rolls from the oven.

"Thank you for the help, now go get your sisters so we can pray and eat."

I smiled and nodded, kissing her cheek again before rushing off, first to Jem's art studio and then to Cindy's reading area. I got them to wash up.

Dad sat at the head of the table and Mom sat besides him. We prayed and then dug in, my mom opening the conversations.

"I don't know how the gay marriage laws are benefit to anyone."

My heart sank, but I stayed quiet, eating the food before me.

My dad huffed. "There's something wrong about same sex marriage."

"Why?" I challenged. Realizing I had spoken I covered it up. "You have to have reasons, not just an opinion."

It's a line they use with us. My dad smiled.

"There's nothing life changing about two men or women being together. The attraction might be there, but it's another thing at act on it."

"Okay," my voice was small. "That makes sense."

Only it didn't. I looked up at my dad who looked happy. Normally I argued a bit longer, as far as they knew it was all for the debate itself. Not the contents.

I couldn't do it. Not tonight. Not with everyrhing going on. They kept on about it, and I bit my tongue, gripping my fork a bit tighter to keep from giving something away.

I ate my food quickly and then went to bed, which consisted of an unrelated rant to Harry about politics in general, not the conversation I just held with my family.

I couldn't wait to leave.