Chapter 7 - Stronger, More Powerful

I woke up an hour later. I was lying down on a couch in the old burnt down house. I rolled over and felt a pain down my side.

“Ow.” I said to myself.

“It should heel soon.” I jumped at the sound of his voice. “So should the cuts on your arm.” I looked up at Derek who was standing in a dark corner just looking at me. I didn’t say anything, I didn’t know what to say. “It’s best you stay here tonight.”

“And why is that?” I asked, touching the spot on my stomach where the pain was coming from.

“Because if you go home and your mum is drunk and throws another whisky bottle, you will heel in front of her or worse you will shift. I can teach you control, but it doesn’t come without a price.”

“And that price would be?” I asked, ignoring the fact that he knew she threw a whisky bottle.

“You must join my pack.”

“Pack?”

“Yes pack. The bigger the pack the stronger we are.”

“Strength in numbers right?” I asked.

“Yes, but it’s more than that. We become physically stronger as well.”

I didn’t reply for a while. I just looked at him. “Okay.” was all I said.

I spent the night at Derek’s and he filled me in on as much as he could during that time including how Jackson had come to him just before I did asking to become like him.

“That doesn’t surprise me. Jackson has always wanted power and to be the best at everything.”

“He does seem desperate.”

“I think he feels like he has to prove something to someone, but I’m not sure who.” He just looked at me. He seemed to do that a lot.

“You should get some sleep. Here.” He said handing me some pillows and blankets. “I’m afraid you’ll have to sleep on the coach.”

“It’s better than going home.” I said in a small voice more to myself then Derek. “Thank-you.” He just smiled and walked up stairs.

As I was lying down I noticed something. When I was talking to Derek I didn’t feel alone. He had distracted me from my troubled life and now even though there was no-one else in the room I could hear his heartbeat from upstairs. I could feel myself growing stronger, more powerful, and I was heeling.