Chapter 31 - Anger

I opened the door to my house only to be met with a flying glass vase full of flowers. I barely managed to avoid it. If I hadn’t been a beta it would have hit me right in the face.

“Where the hell have you been? I told you next time to text or call me.”

“I was with Stiles mum. His car broke down and he needed a ride.” I could smell the alcohol. The house and her both stunk of it. It was now at least 10pm and she wasn’t working tonight so if I had to guess she had been drinking since her morning shift ended at 11am.

“You said that last time!”

“I swear I was.”

“You’re lying!” This time she threw the wine glass. Ducking again out of the way it just flew an inch away from my face.

My heart started pounding and my breathing became deep and uneven. I could feel the shift coming. The anger was boiling up inside me and it wasn’t just about my mother throwing things at me. I started thinking about my dad and how she got rid of him. I hadn’t seen him for 12 months because of her. He had to move states because she didn’t tell the truth. First my eyes started to change colour then my claws and canines grew, but then I heard car tyres on the gravel.

“Anna, don’t. Run out the door now.” It was Derek he was talking to me from his car and he knew I could hear him. “Now!”

I didn’t have a choice. He was my alpha. I had to obey. So I ran. Out the door, down the path from the front step and straight into his car, but not before I saw my mother’s face change from anger to horror. She saw me change. Without saying a word he took off down the street. I was clinging on to the door and not because of Derek’s driving, but because I couldn’t get my eyes, claws, or teeth to change back. The harder I tried to calm myself the more I thought about my dad and the angrier I became at my mum. It was like the full moon, but this time I was very aware of what I was doing and I knew I could control it, but it just didn’t seem to happen.

As soon as Derek stopped the car on the side of the road I opened the door and ran into the woods and slammed up against a tree. I wanted to go further to find someone or something to hunt. I sunk down to the ground, my back still against the bark.

Derek came up beside me and crouched down. “Take a deep breath.” I tried, but my breathing was still uneven. “Anna, look at me. Breathe.” Looking into Derek’s eyes I took deeper breaths and finally I felt the coolness return to my eyes as they went back to my normal shade of green and my claws and fangs retracted back to human lengths. “What happened?” Derek asked.

“I don’t know. I drove Stiles to the mechanic’s because Erica wrecked his car, then I got a text from my mum asking where I was. By the time I got home she’d had a heap to drink. The instant I opened the door she threw a vase at me then the wine glass. I just lost it.”

“Over a few flying objects? I had to slam you into a wall three times before you shifted.”

“But I wasn’t as angry at you as I am at her.”

“Something tells me there is more to this than the alcohol.”

“Maybe.”

After staring at me for ten long seconds Derek finally decided to speak. “Let’s go. You can stay with me tonight. I’ll kick Isaac off the couch.”

“You have a couch?”

“You don’t actually think I sleep in the station do you?”

“Well you slept in a burnt down house.”

“Only that one night. I do actually have an apartment. Come on.”

Helping me stand up and walking over to the car Derek opened the door for me then sped off down the road again. I don’t think he knew what a slow start was.