Chapter 4: FIVE MONTHS UNTIL THE WEDDING

Louis and I decided to go out for drinks together with Zayn. It was the beginning of April and the weather finally started changing, spring clearly in its baby shoes. The day started coming to an end with the sun lowering itself and I was happy about the night out.

There had been a few things happening the last weeks. Dan and I went on another two dates and although he kept his distance, it was fine and nice. Nice. There was that word again. I couldn't help it, but being with Dan was nothing more than that. I had fun, yes. However... there was something stopping me from letting go and opening myself.

The three of us sat at a bar in the centre of London. It was Louis' favourite and, of course, neither Zayn or me couldn't not give into his plead. We were sitting right at the bar and I was sipping on my Tropic Swizzle. It was a cocktail with Malibu Original, mineral water, mint leaves, lemon and lastly, water melon. It tasted sweet and sour on my tongue and I always liked these kind of cocktails. Louis was drinking a Gin Tonic and I would probably never understand how one can drink it as it tastes too bitter for my liking. Besides, I had read once that people who drink Gin Tonic are psychopaths. Oh well.

Zayn was having a simple Whiskey Sour. I hadn't seen him in quite some time. And it was actually good to get to talk to him for the first time after the engagement. The two of them were joking around when I interrupted them.

"So, is there any dresscode for Saturday?" Louis had planned an engagement party for this weekend.

Louis smirked at me. "Dress like you are already famous. That's what I told everyone." "You're saying I'm not famous?" I fake gasped. Zayn cackled under his breath. "Yeah, babe, what are you implying?"

The oldest rolled his eyes. "I hate you both." "Who's going to be invited anyway?" I was curious wether Liam would be there or not. Sure, the announcement had been a while, but I couldn't be sure wether or not to expect him to come. "Well," Louis started while giving me his biggest smile, "My family, obviously. Some friends from work and a few of Zayn's friends and colleagues." "Yeah, I invited some people that I went to university with too," Zayn explained with his thick accent.

Louis beamed at him and it warmed my heart. These two were made for each other. They fit each other in such an unexpected way, however, the two of them made it work. Zayn and Louis met four years ago at a birthday party of his aunt. Apparently, Louis' aunt and uncle knew Zayn's parents.

I bit my lip, considering asking about Liam. I should've, right? I mean, I needed at least a few days to prepare myself to see him again. After all, the news of this party came pretty unexpected. "And... is Liam going to be there?"

Louis tensed up. "Yeah, he will be there, as well." I nodded, a deep breath filling my lungs. Alright, Niall. Time to face your fear. "Okay, cool," I gave back, attempting to smile, but Louis saw right through the facade. "He's not going to be sitting anywhere near you, though!" the oldest quickly expanded his answer. "That's sweet of you, Lou."

I decided to change the topic as the uneasy feeling was starting to become heavier. Louis decided, that it was time, too, to let loose.

"Time for Sambuca shots!" he shouted and Zayn groaned, albeit pulling the oldest closer.

I guessed, Saturday was going to be fun.

* * * *

The week went by too fast for my liking. And instead of trying to familiarise with the thought of seeing Liam, I decided to push and push and push it as far out of my head as possible. This had advantages, like not hyperventilating at work. Unfortunately, this also had disadvantages. Like standing in my bedroom and not being even the slightest ready for this situation.