18. Alex' House Party

"Yeah, I'm calling it a night," Jamie downed his drink, "see ya later," he said and kissed me on the cheek. Katie waved to me before she took Jamie's arm and followed him out of the pub.

I was left with Matt, Breana, and Alex.

"Yeah, I think we'll leave you two to it then," Matt then said, winking at me when Alex looked away. Breana shot me a reassuring smile and put her small hand on my arm.

"I'll come with you," Alex then almost spat while he looked at Matt with a stern face.

Matt looked perplexed, mouth opening and closing. He then closed it for good and nodded to gis friend.

I had wanted to spend just an hour or so alone with Alex but he clearly didn't want to sit alone with me.. That hurt. A few hours ago he had told me that he had missed me and that I had to 'suck it and see' - He had even winked at me. But something inside him had shifted all of a sudden and even though I had desperately tried to catch his attention, he hadn't spared me one look. Had I done something wrong?

I tried to laugh it off, "yeah, I'm working tomorrow so I think it's best if I go home too. I'll just make a quick run to the loo," I said and hurried away from the table.

I locked myself in one of the bathroom stalls and looked at myself in the mirror.

"It's okay, it's okay, it's okay," I whispered to my mirror image, "it has been an eventful night. Not just for you. Also for him. He didn't expect to see you either, right? He must be tired too.. You didn't do anything wrong."

"Are you alright in there?" A soft voice called from the next stall.

"Uhm...YEAH!" I yelled.

"You sure? You don't sound okay to me."

"Y-yeah, I'm sure. Thank you for your concern..." I wiped my nose and hurried out of the bathroom before the girl in the next stall could say more.

I approached Alex and Matt who were already standing near the door, arguing about something. Both had their arms crossed and defiantly looked away from the other. They looked like two children.

"Hey, you guys ready to leave?" I asked them.

"Yeah, Brea just went to the loo."

I stiffened, "Right after me?"

"Yeah.. Why? What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Just tired is all," I said while my face was burning up. Breana couldn't have been the girl in the stall next to me. She couldn't have been.

As I turned my gaze towards the restrooms I saw her approaching us as if in slow motion. She gave me a small knowing smile.

Fuck!

Alex didn't talk to me for the rest of the walk to the tube. I was dragging my bike and when we said goodbye, he gave me a half-awkward hug and said "bike's in the way.."

-

Received at 11.34 a.m. from Unknown Number:
Hi Rhea!
Katie here.
Talked to Breana yesterday at the guys' rehearsal.
Just wanted you to know that I'm completely on your team - I have never seen Alex sulk more than he has these past months. Jamie's going crazy too...
Want to meet up for coffee later?

It had been two days since the night at the bar and I could slowly feel myself sinking into Alex again. Every hour I grew more and more disappointed that Alex hadn't tried to contact me.

Sent at 11.36 a.m. to Katie:
Yeah, I've been wondering if Breana was the girl in the stall next to me..