3 | choices and missed birthdays

3|

3|

choices and missed birthdays

It's not the first time I've thought the way Leal Adamms interacts with his daughter is more than just a little rude, but it definitely is the first time I've started thinking of him as of completely selfish asshole.

I know I don't have a right to label him. I know he most likely isn't completely selfish, based on how concerned he seems to be when it comes to Collin and his health. But I can't extinguish the internal desire to punch him for always dismissing Rose as if she was nothing but a speck of dirt brushing up against the sole of his shoe.

He'd have no trouble with cornering Cassidy, even more than he's doing already, I'm pretty sure of that, if it wasn't for Mrs. Adamms suddenly emerging from around the corner.

I know there's no way she could've known about her ex-husband, or partner, or whatever they were before they separated, rushing here, but his eyes immediately stray to her approaching figure, almost as if he knew causing a scene would somehow summon her.

Straightening up, Mr. Adamms closes the distance between them, and much to my surprise, swings one hand around Mrs. Adamms' shoulders, clutching her close to him. I'm almost positive she wasn't expecting this either, but her body relaxes a little after few seconds and they just remain standing there, in the middle of the hallway, meshed together like two candles trying to melt the wax back into one another.

If I didn't know better, I'd have pegged them as two people, still madly in love with each other. Tragedies really do turn everything around.

A little while passes, and I'm unconsciously noting that Timothy has returned, when Mrs. Adamms gently pushes against Leal's chest, her tiny hands shaking subtly, no matter how hard she tries to hide it.

She's undoubtedly shaken, but one look in our direction makes it all disappear, making her snap back into her rightful place of a medical nurse, whose purpose is to make us less scared, instead of the other way around.

Her lips move and I know she's saying something to Collin's father, but even though they're not standing that far away, I'm not able to hear her, and I'm also getting a feeling that's the way it's supposed to be.

I can't see Leal's face but I can see the shake of his head, the frustrated manner in which he rakes his fingers through his black-ish hair, the abrupt raise of his voice when he spits out, "I told you this would happen, Dianna. This is exactly why I wanted him to live with me. But you just had to go and do as you pleased. Again and again."

Mrs. Adamms doesn't respond anything to that. She only backs a few steps away, letting Leal brush past her before disappearing at the end of the hallway.

Mrs. Adamms directs her gaze toward us once again, pressing her lips together so tightly I fear they might start bleeding from the sheer pressure. Then, slowly, body slumped into itself, she starts walking in our direction. The only thing I hope for at this point is that she's not about to crush the already shattered parts of everyone around me, me included, even more with the news she's about to bring.