10 | it's brad

10 |

it's brad

What the hell am I doing?

Perplexed by her question, I pull back, searching her face for an answer that's been running through my head since the moment she opened the door.

She doesn't look mad, just surprised, but by the awkward smile stretching her lips, I'm pretty sure she's not taking this too seriously.

And that's when it slams into me.

Fuck.

This can only mean that -- "Sarah?" I ask, hoping she confirms my suspicions and calms down the jack-hammering of my heart at least a little.

Briefly, she just stares at me, as if contemplating whether to answer me or not, before a question of her own slips out. "Yeah?"

Heaving a relieved breath, the heaviness dissipates out of my lungs. It emits a laugh from somewhere inside me, causing Sarah to narrow her eyes at me, no doubt thinking I must be fucking stupid for trying to kiss her out of blue, but I'm just so fucking glad it's not Aspen who's giving me this attitude that I can't help myself.

"Sorry, I, uhm," I squeeze the back of my neck, trying to knead some of the tension out of my muscles, "I just thought you were --"

"Aspen?" she finishes for me, clamping my mouth shut for a second.

"Yeah," I give her a slight nod. But then I don't know what else to say to her, and I keep thinking she will charge ahead and continue the conversation, somehow, but she doesn't seem to have that intention in mind.

I'm left standing in the fucking doorway, speechless like a total lunatic. And she just keeps fucking staring at me, most likely wanting me to turn the fuck around and already get the hell out of there.

One of my hands is still pressed against the door because I don't trust Sarah to not close it on me if I were to pull back.

The ridiculousness of the whole situation is slowly downing on me, and I can't help but feel completely dumb. I even forget about the whole reason behind my coming here tonight, but after few more incredibly awkward minutes, I remember.

"Can I talk to Bishop for a second? Please?" The desperation in my voice can be clearly heard, and under different circumstances, I would do everything possible to suppress it, but right now I couldn't care less. I am desperate. And I'm hoping that my vulnerability will make her cooperate.

Sighing heavily, she steps to the side. "Alright. Come on in."

And I do. Feeling like a lucky motherfucker. Or at least, halfway there.

Sarah closes the door behind us with a soft click, then calls out for Bishop. Pretty damn loud, and nearly causing me to flinch from the sheer intensity of her voice, but I stand still.