20 | junkies and strict fathers

20 |

junkies and strict fathers

I think that it's normal to say that seeing your sibling all bruised up is not something you can grow used to, no matter how many times you've encountered the same situation before.

Because that's what this is. I've seen Rose in this state uncountable times in the past few years, but despite that, it never fails to shock me.

I know what Rose is like. I know she's hot-blooded and capable of lashing out out of nowhere when someone pisses her off. She has been involved in several cat fights, many of which she started herself, and sometimes I think that she's actually a bigger brawler than I had ever been.

I had given her so many lectures already, but she never bothers to listen to me, and is always more than ready to turn my own history against me. That's why I can't find it in myself to give her a lecture this time.

But I can't totally ignore it either. We have grown too used to ignoring and pushing things around in this family.

Sighing, I plop down onto the ground beside her bed, "One of these days you're gonna end up way worse than with just beaten up face. You know that, right?"

Usually, a snipe is what I would be expecting as her choice at a remark, but instead, a heavy swallow and tense silence is what I'm greeted with. She even averts her eyes to her bed comforter, avoiding every chance of eye contact.

"Rose?" Alert, I straighten my spine and move closer to her.

And it's as if my movement snapped her right out of her little trance, because the next thing I know, her eyes are narrowed in on me, anger clouding her vision. "What, Collin? What the fuck do you want with me now?"

"Now?" I can't help but withdraw a bit. I'm hella confused because I'd always cared about what was going on with her. Not just now like she's putting it at the moment. Always.

She ignores me, continuing with her pissed-off speech. "What are you even doing back here? Why can't you just fuck off to wherever you were until now?"

I have no idea what her issue is. I knew she was mad at me. I had my suspicions that this wasn't going to flow smoothly, but I sure as hell wasn't expecting this to go so colossally shit. I can feel myself losing my temper, and I'm afraid what will happen once I do. Screaming at one another is not uncommon with the two of us, either, and I know that if it comes to that, there's a big chance my mouth will spew out some shit I don't want her to hear.

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

Rose goes on, fully enraged now. "We don't want you here! In case you haven't noticed," her voice is so loud that there's no doubt in my mind that Mom can hear every single of her words all the way downstairs. "You have fucked up everything, Collin! Absolutely everything! So don't you dare sit here and act like you want to make amends with us because you are the reason why this family is falling apart in the first place!"