Life On Mars? / David Bowie

❝ It was a nice day, for once. 

A pleasant change from rain, a break in the winter. The sun had extended her rays to every corner of what I could see, leaving clear blue skies further than the horizon. All I could think to do was sit out on the grass and bask in the warmth, so that's what I did. It seemed that everyone had the same idea, there were so many people out jogging, gardening or walking their dogs. I was sat there for at least an hour, at least I think so, I had no idea of the time. All I knew was  the warmth. 

It may seem a little silly, but it was so vivid. It was as if it was the last good memory I had  before things went bad. I smiled at everyone going past, sometimes giving a small wave if I knew them personally. 

And they smiled back. 

I know it sounds so small, but that's the last thing I remember making me feel completely good about myself. I remember getting a text from my friend Sadie Rogers. She wanted me to get some things from the store before I went over to her house. "Please, thank you, I love you Isabelle." She had said. 

I switched off my phone and got up, stretching and soaking up any last sunlight that I could before I went inside. I brushed any loose grass off my blue ripped denim shorts and put on my favourite hoodie, getting ready to go out.

I'm not even sure why it was my favourite. It was loose and plain white, nothing special. Yet there was something about it that made me like it more than the others. 

I pulled my mousy brown hair into a messy top knot, getting it off my face. I had already done my makeup that morning. 

I got my keys, wallet, phone and earphones, and shimmied my feet into some easy to reach flip flops. I slipped on a pair of aviators and rushed myself out the door, eager to get back outside. I never realised how much I missed the sun until it was gone for a few months. 

I got into my car,  my pride and joy, and started it up. It was a bright red 1957 Chevrolet Convertible Street Rod. I had taken the roof off as any sensible person would on a sunny day, and made my way to the nearest store. I had my own shopping list which I could have ticked off another day, but Sadie had insisted on getting her some cake and pasta salad. 

Sadie is, well, outgoing, to say in the least. She's loud, sassy and fun, and that's what makes her unique. I've never met anyone like her.  She always stood up for me, and we'd been joined at the hip for nine years, since we were ten years old. 

The drive there was quick, the road was smooth and the warm breeze teased my face. 

I don't remember much after that, I suppose I parked outside the store, put my earphones in and started playing some music. I gathered most of what I needed, but what I vividly recall was being in the frozen foods aisle. 

David Bowie was playing, and it was Life On Mars?. I always had a soft spot for that song, and maybe it's because I relate to it so much. 

"It's a God-awful small affair to the girl with the mousy hair." 

I smiled at that line, and picked up a bag of frozen peas. The music was blaring in my ears, and I couldn't hear anything beyond it. I dropped the packet into my basket, before moving along, mindlessly browsing at the various foods in the freezers. 

I heard a loud bang over my music. I pulled out one earphone to listen for any more sounds. And I heard it again. Apparently, so did everyone else, because that's when the screams began.

And in my world, everything stopped but the music. ❞