No One Is Alone / Into The Woods

❝I only truly panicked when Thomas screamed. 

It was as if his terror triggered something inside of me, and it made me want to go grab him and hide. However, I was frozen with fear and couldn't move. 

Don't do anything to provoke him. 

"There you are," the man growled maliciously at the boy, taunting him, "I've been looking for you. Why did you run away? I just want to play." 

Thomas cried harder on the spot, visibly unsure of what to do. "I just want my Mommy. Please don't hurt me." 

The man took a daring step towards Thomas, and I remained frozen, still afraid to move. 

"Don't worry kid, you'll be with your mommy very soon," the man sneered. 

"Don't you dare hurt him," I growled, adrenaline beginning to pump through my veins. 

The man met my gaze, his eyes hinting at an amused expression beneath the mask. He slowly walked towards me, taunting me, playing with my fear. He knew I was afraid, and he was readily going to exploit it. 

"Ah, she speaks," he chuckled, "what are you going to do? What can you possibly do to defend him, or yourself, against me?"

He began to circle me, Thomas having been seemingly forgotten. I stayed still, listening to his tormenting footsteps behind me. Then, they stopped, and I shuddered when I felt his hot breath on the nape of my neck. 

"I could do whatever I want to you, and you would have no power to stop me. You're mine, girl." 

I grimaced and shivered, his words sticking in my brain. I knew what he was suggesting, and the idea of it made me sick. 

"You haven't got much to say now, do you, brat? I ought to just kill you right now," he snarled. His voice in my ear had drowned out Thomas's wailing. 

From behind me, one of his arms snaked around the side of me, a handgun in his clutches, his index finger on the trigger. 

"Here's what's going to happen," he hissed, "I'm going to use this gun and shoot either you or him with it. Who is it going to be? You choose." 

I swallowed hard, not wanting to say anything. How can I make that choice? I don't want to die, but I can't just let a little boy get killed in my place. 

"Still not talking?" He asked, "Alright. I'll make your decision for you." 

In a split second, he aimed the gun and fired. 

When the gunshot sounded, I squeezed my eyes shut and ignored the ringing in my ears from the loud bang. 

It took me a few moments to realise that it wasn't me that he shot. Thomas was no longer screaming. 

I gasped and my eyes flew open. I lurched forward for him, but I was held back by the man's firm grip on my hood that as hanging by the back of my neck.  

I let out a yelp as he yanked me towards him, my back colliding with his chest. He held me tight up against him, and my attempts at struggling achieved nothing. 

"Watch yourself, brat. When this is all over, I'm coming back for you," he grumbled, "that is, if you haven't made a nuisance of yourself. I wouldn't recommend it, it would be a shame to kill such a pretty thing like you." 

I whimpered and trembled, just wanting him to leave me alone. He hadn't bluntly said what he wanted to do, but his hints were certainly not subtle. 

Out of nowhere, he shoved me to the floor. I grunted upon impact, and once he was sure I was down, he drove his boot into my stomach, causing me to wheeze. I curled into a ball and winced, wanting him to go away. 

I let out a breathy sob, silently rejoicing as I heard his boots thump against the linoleum, slowly getting further away. 

I lay there for a few moments, waiting until the pain from his kick subsided and until I was sure he was gone. 

I then shakily and painfully got onto my hands and knees, having forgotten about the medical supplies for my leg. I crawled slowly towards the unmoving boy in front of me, trying to keep most of my weight off of my bad leg. 

When I reached him, my stomach dropped. I knew there was no saving him, although he was still shallowly breathing. I sat down beside him and pulled him gently into my lap, cradling him. 

"Thomas?" I whispered, forcing myself to hold in the tears that were welling up in my eyes. 

He didn't respond.

I couldn't stand to look at the bullet wound in his chest, nor could I bring myself to watch his face as he slowly lost consciousness, so I slowly rocked him and kept my eyes locked on the white tile below us. 

"Thomas, if you can hear me, please hang on. I know it hurts, but I need you to stay awake for me. Your mommy loved you very much, and she wouldn't want you to give up. Please stay with me." 

No response. 

I had nothing left to say to the boy who was dying in my arms. All I could do was stay with him until he was gone.❞