Words Fail / Dear Evan Hansen

"It seemed like a good omen? What does that mean?" 

Isabelle took in Liam's posture. He had leaned in slightly, as if he were on the edge of his seat, awestruck by the action in her retelling. 

"I'm surprised you picked up on that," she noted truthfully. 

"Well of course," he responded, "you said it in such a way that screamed that the opposite was about to happen." 

Isabelle smiled lightly. "Have to keep it interesting somehow, don't I?" 

Liam chuckled, shaking his head. "I know you hate the story, but others find it incredible. You were the only survivor of an event where nobody predicted there to be any. An attack like that is one of the worst things to happen to a person, and yet you fought through it. People can't get enough of stories like this, stories with a real fighter as the heroine." 

Isabelle raised an eyebrow. "Heroine? I didn't do anything miraculous. I just scraped by with my life, and that's all." 

"That's the thing. You were the heroine of your own story. If you don't believe me, just think about it. Be the heroine in your own story." 

Isabelle was silent. Am I really the protagonist in my own story, or am I just the pathetic side character that everyone pities? Maybe I'm not as minor as I thought. 

She shifted in her seat, trying to get comfortable despite every position she sat in was causing her discomfort.  Her heart was beating noticeably, as if his words had struck a nerve inside her. 

"Do you really think I'm a hero?" She whispered. 

Liam smiled widely. "With every fiber of my being." 

Isabelle was stunned.  "I don't know what to say."  

"You don't have to say anything," he replied, "because I know how it feels to feel small. If I can help you in any way I can, then I will. I refuse to let anyone else suffer; not if I can do something about it." 

"Thank you," she squeaked, straining to hold in her tears, "nobody has ever said anything like that to me before." 

"Don't mention it. It's so important that everyone feels valued. You're no exception, Isabelle." 

Isabelle felt her heart clenching in her chest, his words inflicting tears to finally fall. "Thank you," she said again, no other words springing to her mind. 

"So," Liam began, changing the subject, "what happened when the police came that made the situation worse?" 

Isabelle let out a sigh. "It was what caused the standoff." 

Liam straightened, "oh?" 

"Every time they attempted to negotiate or enter, one of the hostages died." 

Liam bit his lip, not saying anything. He silently urged her to elaborate. 

Isabelle looked away. "After the police showed up, it was like the beginning of a mass execution. Sometimes, I feel like..." She paused, taking a breath. "Like more people would have made it out alive if the police had of done things differently." 

"Like how?" Liam enquired. 

"I don't know!" She threw her hands up in the air in frustration. "It's just that, well, if they had of figured out a way to get that man out sooner, nobody else would have had to die at the hands of his ignorance and anger! It's just not fair." 

"No it isn't. It's not fair, and you know what? We have to just move on. You and I both know that he wasn't going to stop until you were all dead, or damn near it. That power wasn't in the police's hands, nor was it in yours. That man had set his mind to doing some damage and that's exactly what he went and did." Liam chastised. 

When Isabelle said nothing and avoided his gaze, Liam knew he had crossed the line. 

"I suppose you want me to leave now?" He asked. 

Isabelle briefly shut her eyes and took a deep breath in, calming herself. "No," she mumbled. 

Liam tilted his head sideways, confused. "I should go. I got too worked up and I-" 

"No!" She interrupted. "I don't want you to go." 

"You don't?" 

"No, I want you to stay. I'm not done yet." Isabelle responded firmly. 

"Well," Liam said, a small half-smile creeping onto his face, "if you insist."