In the Woods Somewhere / Hozier

Isabelle looked up, only to see Liam staring intently, meeting her gaze. 

"What?" She asked. 

Liam snapped out of his trance, realising that he had been staring. "Oh, it's just that I've heard about this boy." 

Isabelle blinked consciously a few times. "You have?" 

Liam nodded, "yeah. His name was Thomas Carter. Apparently, when the paramedics found him, he was still hanging on to his life by a thread. They were shocked at how long that he lasted for his age."

Isabelle's eyes were wide. "You mean he wasn't dead when I left? You mean I could have saved him?"

Liam shook his head, a sad, weak smile on his face. "There was really nothing that you could have done. Don't beat yourself up over something that was always out of your hands." 

"What do you think I have been doing for the past five years? I've had a lot of time to beat myself up over it. It hurts, don't you get that? An innocent child got shot in front of me. My clothes were stained with his blood. He didn't deserve to be there that day, and you know the worst part? He meant nothing to that shooter. He was a tiny obstacle that the man could wipe out effortlessly. Thomas died because that man wanted to make a point to me." 

With a confused expression, Liam shifted in his seat. "He wanted to make a point to you? What point?"

Isabelle shuddered. "He wanted to assert his dominance over me. He wanted to intimidate me and show me that it was all a game to him. I was a mouse, and he was a ravenous cat. I will never forget what he said to me."

"What did he say?" 

"He — no, I can't do this," Isabelle sobbed, breaking down once again. 

Her fingers gripped her head, tugging on her hair. She brought her knees up to her chest, her breathing fast and irregular. Tears flooded her eyes and gushed down her cheeks, the memory of his words clawing at her brain. 

Isabelle hadn't noticed that Liam had quickly approached her when she had lost herself. He knelt down beside her chair, his eyes big with worry. 

"Isabelle? I know you're hurting, but there's nothing to be afraid of now. I'm here with you, and I'm not going to let anything happen to you. What I need you to do is take some deep breaths, and tell yourself it's only temporary, can you do that? I understand what you're feeling right now is scary, but it's not dangerous anymore. When you're ready, are you able to tell me what you want me to do?"

Isabelle's breathing was still ragged and her stomach was swirling with nausea, but his words had registered in her mind just enough to muster a shaky response. 

"Please  don't leave me."

Liam rested one hand on her back and one hand on her right knee. "I won't leave you as long as you need me. No matter what's running through your head, I'll be here for you. I have no idea of the extent of what you've been through, but what I do know is that you're the strongest person I know, even if it doesn't feel like it." 

Out of nowhere, Isabelle lunged forward, wrapping her arms around him, sobbing into his shoulder and clutching the fabric of his shirt. Liam was surprised by her bold action, but quickly regained himself and gently held her in a reassuring embrace. 

They stayed like that for a few minutes, and eventually Isabelle had control of her breathing again, and she gently peeled herself away from him, leaning back in her chair. She wiped her eyes and nose with a tissue from the coffee table and she closed her eyes for a moment, swallowing the lump in her throat. 

"Okay, I think I'm ready to tell you what happened next," she announced, her voice hoarse from crying. 

Liam nodded once, slowly returning to his seat across from her. "Are you sure?" he asked.

Isabelle sighed, "it's now or never. It's an important part of the story. If you're going to write a convincing article, this is the kicker."

Liam chuckled, "whenever you're ready."

Isabelle took a deep breath. "Alright, here we go again."