Tightrope / Michelle Williams

"And did it?"

Isabelle looked up in confusion. "What?"

Liam chuckled softly. "Did it get worse?"

Isabelle opened her mouth to speak, but Liam got there first. "Actually, no. Sorry, that was a stupid question. Ignore me, I can be an idiot sometimes." 

Isabelle tried to laugh, but nothing left her lips but a weak sigh. She shifted her gaze to glance out the window, noticing it was getting darker. The sky had been painted with the red hues of a sunset, something she had not seen for a long time. 

She remembered when doctors thought she had agoraphobia. Isabelle had seen online the symptoms of this, and she seemed it was fair to make that assumption. Although she came to agree with them, she felt a sense of disdain when the doctors decided that this wasn't the case and decided that it wasn't the right diagnosis. They told her that the reason was that it wasn't just a fear of open or public places in her case. 

They called it Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. 

They told me I was strong. They told me that I would make it through my struggles. 

How much of what they said was a lie?

I'm not strong. 

I never made it through the tough times.

I'm weak, too useless to even go outside. Something bad happened and I hid myself away like a bloody coward. 

I'm nothing. 

Isabelle let the poisonous thoughts riot in her mind. She let the angry tears flow, oblivious to Liam's concerned expression. She couldn't let him see her like this, she needed to take a break from reliving the pain that she couldn't escape.

"Can you come back tomorrow?" She hissed through gritted teeth. 

"I'm sure you'll be alright, I can give you a moment if you wish. It'll be good for you to let it all out."

"No! I'll tell you more tomorrow or I'll tell you no more. Respect my needs. You told me you understand what it's like! You have no idea! I need space, so come back tomorrow or don't come back at all." She seethed. 

Liam nodded solemnly, before picking up his notebook and standing. He was silent as he left and shut the front door behind him. 

And as he let himself out, Isabelle's emotions followed suit and escaped the confines of her walls.

*

Knock knock.

Isabelle's curiosity perked as the familiar sound sung out, the memories of the previous day coming back to her. 

It had just hit twenty minutes past ten in the morning, and her lip tugged at the corner in a tiny half smile. It seems he wanted the rest of the story. Maybe he isn't going to give up on me just yet.

"Isabelle?" 

Liam's voice echoed into her home, and Isabelle just couldn't resist letting him in. She had finally opened the gates, and she couldn't close them until the very end. 

She shuffled to the door from where she was standing in the kitchen, her palm once again lingering on the handle. 

She closed her eyes and pushed away her anxiety for just long enough to swing open the door, to which she was again greeted by the sun's warmth and the scent of spring. 

"Good morning. Fancy seeing you here." Liam smiled, attempting to make a joke. 

Isabelle raised an eyebrow at his words, as if to say really?

Liam's brief smile faded quickly. "Look, I'm sorry for not giving you space yesterday. I know it may not seem like it, but I've been through something really bad too, and I know how bad it feels to be in your shoes. I know it's hard, but sometimes you have to be pushed a little to come out of your shell, and I might have pushed you too hard but-"

"Liam," Isabelle interrupted. "It's fine. Just come in, make yourself comfortable. I'll tell you more of my story." 

Liam's signature smile returned, and he followed her inside. He shut the door behind him and made his way to the living room where Isabelle was standing hunched over something. 

"What are you up to?" He asked, suddenly interested. 

There was a faint crackling sound, before music began to play. Isabelle stepped back to reveal a record machine. "Music helps me a lot. Maybe it can help you too." She smiled as she spoke, her tone evident that she had positive intentions. 

"Now let me get that tea, and we can pick up where we left off."