In Case You Don't Live Forever / Ben Platt

"Of course, as you can see, I was a bit wrong about the dying part," Isabelle joked. 

Liam chuckled, "wow, really? I had no idea!" 

Isabelle smiled, amused, and shifted in her seat.  

"You know, I feel like I'm seeing a whole new side of you. You seem happier, I don't know, maybe feeling less burdened?" He said. 

"Maybe I am," she responded, "and I suppose I have you to thank for it." 

"You don't have to thank me, Isabelle." 

She shook her head. "I don't think you get it. Without you, I never would have opened up like this. I never would  have given myself the courage to speak up. I would have remained in this house without ever speaking to anyone ever again. We've only known each other for a short time, but I feel like I've given you my whole faith and trust." 

"Perhaps you have," he said, "and in a way, it seems like I've given mine to you as well." 

"Thank you," Isabelle said suddenly, "for everything." 

Liam sighed. "No. Thank you. I've never felt closer to my brother since he died. My parents became reclusive after the attack, so there was nothing that I could idolise in them anymore. But you? You've given me someone to look up to. You've taught me what it means to be human again." 

Tears welled up in Isabelle's eyes at his words, and to her surprise, he was doing the same. They had both found comfort in each other's hearts over something that broke them both. 

"I've carried this with me for so long that I've forgotten that there are people who are there for me," she whimpered.  "You've helped me to realise that again." 

Isabelle could no longer speak, for her emotions had taken over. She wept quietly, reminiscing on what her life used to be. Her memories were the only remains of the person she once was. 

What if I could bring myself back? What if I reached out again? This could be the first step into true recovery, she thought to herself. 

For once, there was no negative response to her idea. It was as if her mind was sick of being so mentally ill. 

When she managed to regain control of her feelings, she took a deep breath and spoke through her tears. "There is only one more part of my story left before the event is over. We're almost to the end." 

Liam nodded. "I see. Before you keep going, I just need to say something. I have to get it off my chest, I'll hate myself if I don't say anything."  

"Go ahead, I'm listening," she responded. 

"If you ever need anything, after we're done here, I mean, anything at all, I'm here for you. I want you to trust me and trust that I'll help you through anything. Now that I have an idea of what you've been through and had to endure, I can't let you be pushed aside to suffer on your own. I want you to know that you can call on me for anything and I'll be there." 

Isabelle was taken aback by his kindness. She was slightly shocked that he would be willing to stick around if she ever needed help. 

"So it's not just about the article? You really care?" She asked. 

"At first, it was just about getting something shocking for my readers to enjoy, but now, I feel so different about it. You've touched my soul, and I feel as though you've been a part of my life for longer than you have. I can't bear to think about you suffering alone anymore." 

Isabelle smiled. "Thank you. I might just hold you to that, too." 

Liam chuckled, but didn't speak. 

"Anyway," she exclaimed, "here we go. The beginning of the end."