Part 4

"Did you ever regret killing someone?" Beam asked one morning as he spun on his bar stool, a plate of French toast in front of him. Forth had just woken up and was walking into the kitchen after a hot shower, hair dripping and towel wrapped around his waist.

"Yeah. All the time. I follow most of the people I kill for a day or two, see if they really deserve it, and then kill them eventually. When I say I observe if they deserve it or not, I can make a decision not to kill them and have Sooman or someone else do it. I did it once. This single mom with a rebellious son that used the money she made for drugs and stuff. Sooman wanted her dead because he held a grudge against her once stealing food, maybe something more, I dunno, but the poor woman, I felt so bad for her, she just wanted her son to grow up. So I kidnapped him, sort of, gave him a good beating up and told him to get off drugs or I'd kill him and everyone he loved, because I can do that, and I followed them around for the next couple weeks. The son got a job, cut ties with his dealers, and made his mom proud. I begged them not to kill her, so someone twisted the rules and sent a drunk driver straight into her car. Her son then committed suicide." Forth spoke like he knew the family personally, which he did to a certain extent, but that wasn't his job. He wasn't supposed to become emotionally attached to those he had to kill and try to change their lives, because either way, they were going to die.

Beam couldn't say anything, there was nothing to say. I'm sorry for your loss? It was Death he was speaking to, the guy that wasn't supposed to show mercy or emotion. Yet he was sitting next to Beam, their legs colliding as they twirled in the bar stools like children. Forth wasn't as deadly as Beam had originally thought. He was really more like a human than anything, just someone that deserved as much normality and humanity as anyone else.

"You doing anything tonight?" Forth rest his elbow on the counter, cheek resting in his palm.

"I'm not going back to interning until the fifteenth, which is twenty days away. So, I don't have anything planned. Why?"

"I wanted to introduce you to some people. Close friends. Go to an arcade or something." Forth tapped the counter nervously, it seemed. "Ming, Phana, and a few others."

"Sounds okay to me." Beam wheeled out of his seat and slid over to the sink, beginning to wash his plate as he heard his PS4 system start to boost up from the futon in the guest room where he kept it. After he finished washing his plate, he found Forth playing Call of Duty as if it was nothing. "Have you been using it since I moved in?" Beam joked as he plucked up a controller and plopped next to Forth.

"You betcha, I'm a pro at all the games you got."

"I challenge that."

By the evening time (they skipped lunch), they were in a full blown argument about missions and scores and whatnot. Beam had been announced the winner by the game, while Forth argued he had the most kills which made him the winner. They began to argue. It was close to getting heated, because the reaper had turned a pallor white, face flushing of his usual light colored skin. But then a phone rang, and it drew his attention away.

"Oh shit, now? Okay.." He talked into his phone and slipped it back into his back pocket. "I have to go."

"What about our plans?"

"Postponed. Ming and Phana can stop by and pick you up, if you'd like?" Forth was pulling on his leather jacket, reaching for his scythe and moving too fast for Beam.

"I guess. I need more friends, after all." Beam shrugged as he handed Forth a vial. "Just in case." He muttered with his head hung.

"I'll text you their numbers. Don't accept drinks from them, they're crazy. Stay safe." Forth smiled with a wave, and disappeared.