Part 6

Maybe. Or maybe Beam would have found Forth boring if they had gone on normal dates instead of taking him to Japan one night when they both were in the mood for a different taste of alcohol. It seemed like drinking was a normal thing on Beam's agenda now–he had a pack of beer in his fridge. If it weren't for Death, where would Beam be right now? Looking over a bridge, crying himself to sleep? Wishing he could start back over?

###

"SHIT! BEAM, RUN!" A voice boomed within the apartment, the walls trembling and things falling to the floor with thuds. Beam scrambled to his feet, heaving the bedroom door open and seeing Forth holding his arm up against a fucking sword that was held by an unseeable figure that shone brightly. Blood dropped onto the wood from Forth 's arm, who didn't seem to be taking much mind to it as he barked orders at Beam. "The fuck what did I just say!?"

Beam froze as the back of his shirt was suddenly being held tightly by the shining figure. He dropped to his knees, outreaching his hands to Forth who was now holding the blade of the sword in his palm, trying to grasp for Beam. The brightness coming from the figure was far too light and Beam suddenly felt lighter. The same feeling rushed down his body as when he teleported with Forth, but it was calmer. Instead of everything warping towards him, it all shifted upwards like a computer grid and faded. Forth was gone from his sight, and he was now laying on a sickeningly white ground.

He groaned as he sat up, praying that whatever the fuck was going on was just a nightmare. His arm hurt, it was probably either broken or bruised very badly. He went to reach for his phone, but as he pat his pockets, he realized he had left it on his nightstand.

"Hello..?" Beam called out to the nothingness. Almost immediately, a womanly figure began to walk towards him, nonchalantly. Beam squirmed away and hit a wall. He pressed himself as close as he could to the wall. The woman was becoming more visible, she was wearing a tracksuit and had her hair up in a messy bun.

"Yo, Beam Baramee, right?" She squat in front of him and held her hand out. He looked warily at the friendly hand, not sure if he should trust her. "I'm Janee, or God, y'know, whatever people call me nowadays. I heard some people think I'm a butterfly? Weirdos." She smiled at Beam, who still was paralyzed.

"Why am I here.." He breathed out as she stepped back, and he was able to have some room to breathe.

"You're buddy buddy with Death, duh. I've been watching you, and I can't say I'm proud. I got a lot of people to watch over. 7,53 millions people in this world, imagine SEVEN MILLION MORE PEOPLE! It's insane. I don't know why I waste my time watching you, you don't even believe in me. But, I can feel your thoughts, got me? And falling in love with Death.. big no-no. I mean, do whatchu want, but he's been in relationships before that don't turn out very well."

"Wait, wait, so you're God? You're a woman?" Beam held a hand up. Jane didn't seem to happy to answer that.

"Yeah, I am. Not the subject here–"

"You created the fucking Earth? You exist?"

"Shut up, I hate answering stuff like that. Death, he's nice up front and all, but when you end up on Sooman's Death List and Death's gotta kill you, you ain't gonna take it well. Neither does he, of course. I've even tried suggesting it to him. 'Forth, don't you grow emotionally attached to humans' but he always ignores me. But with you he seems so serious, I'm actually scared for you. You saw what happened when his scythe attacked him. Those freakin' things speak if you know their language. They get jealous, too. I'm worried about you."

"But why? I don't have to know all of this." Beam sat up straight against the wall so he could look at Janee more clear. She sat down in front of him, taking his hands in her.