Chapter 14.2: Labyrinth

Ari backed behind Kaval as Maoz tried to inspect him. Maoz did not like him and would jump at any opportunity to have a reason to dislike him. Was it because of Kaval? If so, Ari could understand him just a little. Accusing him of being another person was nothing but unreasonable, however. He would know if he was. Memories would have come back. Ari put a hand over his chest and squeezed. Perhaps, it was the reason for why his heart was the way it was with Auovin. That thought alone sickened him. He would never hurt him. Never.

"Maoz, stay back there," Kaval warned.

"Why?"

"Because I can smell bad intentions when they spawn. You reek of them."

Maoz narrowed his eyes and obeyed for the moment.

"He is him, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. He has hell to pay for what he had done."

Kaval looked back at Ari and shook his head.

"Even if he is him, it does not matter. He does not remember. Harun would have never done those things either. You know this. Both of you know this."

"He is biased," Sai said, unmoved.

"Of course he is. He was in love with him for hundreds of years, after all," Maoz added.

Kaval grabbed Ari's wrist and started moving towards the stairs.

"You cannot say you did not bring him here to reclaim those lost memories. To see if it was really him or not," Sai said, inching closer.

"I did, but not so much anymore. Not when you are already accusing him of everything wrong that had happened to us. You are no better than those blood demons."

"Bring him to the labyrinth then. Let us all see if it is him or not. If he regains his lost memories then we may know what really happened but, until then, he is guilty," Maoz said.

"If he is not him, he could die," Sai murmured.

Maoz smiled and shrugged his shoulders. "Small price to pay."

Kaval shook his head no. He tightened his hold on Ari and kept his eyes trained on the two of them.

"Sai you cannot possibly agree with him. You have spent time with him. You must know his nature."

Sai stared at Ari for a moment before dropping his gaze and lingering elsewhere.

"Oh, not you too, Sai. Harun had that way about him, enrapturing everyone into thinking he was this beautiful, magnificent creature that reigned over both humans and demons. He had that charm about him and I am surprised you still fall victim to it even at his weakest."

"It has nothing to do with that," Sai said.

"It is because you like the boy," Maoz growled.

Ari wanted to run but to where? They knew this place better than him. He looked around aimlessly until Kaval had him tucked right back behind him. Kaval kept a steady pace towards the stairs as Sai and Maoz broke out into an argument. Just as Kaval took the first step, he stopped dead in his tracks.

A woman stood in the way with her arms to her sides. She tilted her head and smiled, causing a rush of chestnut curls to flip to the side of her. When she took a step closer towards them her gray eyes gleamed. Kaval took a step back out the stairwell as a result.

"Kaval, you are back." Her voice reminded Ari of a steady stream of water. She did not come with the malice Maoz greeted him with. Instead, she looked happy. Her smile dropped when she looked and saw Sai and Maoz arguing. She flicked her eyes back to Kaval as if assessing the situation. Finally, her eyes met Ari's. Her face softened but no more than that.