Chapter 2: The Fall of a Kingdom

Jack returned to the campsite at night fall. Emily Jane's words were echoing inside his head, messing him up. It was impossible for him to sleep and he just kept turning around on his mattress while his soldiers were sleeping.

Just when he was about to fall asleep the war drums started to beat. People began to get up from their beds as they heard the signal.

"Sir Overland!" Sir Pitchiner shouted as he came running to the tent. "Better get read, the rats are one hour away, we need to be in our stations soon. EVERYONE SKIP BREAKFAST AND PREPARE FOR FIGHT AS MEN!"

"Yes! You heard Sir Pitchiner!" Jack cheered and ran out from the tent.

"Where is my armourbearer!" Jack yelled as he ran to the smith's tent.

The troops were camping outside the village. Jack waved his hand to Pitchiner who left to defend the lines of the left side, leaving Sir Overland responsible of the right side.

Jack held his arms up on the sides as he was dressed up with the armor. It was really heavy but all knights were supposed to wear one.

"No... I don't want the helmet," Sir Overland told as they were about to place it on.

Instead he just took his sword from the ground and gathered his men as they were moving on to their stations.

"We believe that they will attack from the left side first. That's what their movement suggests sir," a scout told sir Overland while Jack was getting on his horse.

"Thank you, now go and get more information . It is almost time," Jack exhaled.

Enemy soldiers should be tired after marching through the night, or that was what he at least hoped for. There was a hassle around the campsite, most of the men had loved ones that they wanted to protect.

Jack lead his men to their stations as the war drums of the enemy were approaching fast. He was staring at the ground, closing his eyes and emptying his mind. First he heard the drums, then the person next to him praying quietly and finally he heard just his own heart beating anxiously. After silencing that stressed beat from his mind, he was in a calm place.

"SIR!" A soldier exhaled and shook Sir Overland, waking him up from his daze.

Jack opened his eyes, his mind was full of serenity.

"Raise your swords and shields, protect everything that's dear to you!" Jack shouted as the enemy was running over a field, right towards them.

Jack took a serious expression as he got on a horse. "Wait until they are at the edge of the field! Then archers will shoot their burning arrows at them and light up the battlefield!" Jack yelled orders while riding back and forth in front of the lines of soldiers.

"Yes Sir Overland!" The troops cheered and were full of fighting will.

Suddenly a scout ran from the village, excusing himself as he pushed through the massive soldiers that were lined up.

"Excuse me...Excuse me.. SIR OVERLAND!" He quacked and caught the attention of the youngest knight of the kingdom.

Jack put his horse to a halt and looked down at the scout. The horse gracefully kept swaying its tail around and anxiously tapping its hooves on the ground, throwing small pieces of earth and grass around.

"Yes?" Jack wondered and saw the worry of that scout.

"The enemy! They are attacking to Sir Pitchiner's side too!" he gasped and made Jack frown.

"Huh...so that's how it is," Jack hummed and looked at the enemy that was calmly marching towards them.

"Well... then their forces are divided and we can win easily," Jack grinned and raised his hand and when he lowered it the morning sky filled with burning arrows.