Chapter 8: A Guardian

POV Jack

"Moon....what should I do?"

There was no sign of response. All these years of searching, for nothing. And while I wanted to find something, I lost something that I had.

"Talking to the moon again?" A voice giggled and I felt a warm touch on my shoulder.

"Yeah but MiM doesn't wish to reply," I sigh and look over my shoulder. She is smiling as brightly as ever.

She sits next to me on the window still and lifts her bare legs into my lap. Her hand is resting on her grown stomach.

"Can't blame you - pfft I keep talking to the sun like...every day and it just keeps shining back like it knows it all," She laughs and starts to play with her brown hair, brushing her fingers through it.

"Rapunzel... you can't possibly say that you can speak with the sun...that's like....impossible," I chuckle and smile as I pull my hood down.

She had fixed my cape, there was now a sun sewn on the torn fabric. She was pretty crafty for a princess of a big kingdom but she was captured by a witch few years ago but that's another story - like the adventures we had with her, Eugene and Cassandra. It was awesome.

"Haha, really funny Big foot," she snorted and poked my chest with her foot.

"So you say, little foot," I grin deviously and grab her leg. I start to tickle her from the bottom of her foot.

"AH I SURRENDER! STOP IT JACK!" She exhales and kicks me so hard that I fall.

I laugh while holding my stomach, she is staring at me seriously before she giggles. "Jack, not funny... your hands are like ice cubes" she says and wipes tears from her eyes.

"Downsides of being me," I say while sitting up.

"So you didn't have any luck?" She questions and tilts her head.

"No... no signs of Berk, it's like...it vanished from the map," I hum and glance at her.

Well, it would have been too late anyway. Still there was a chance that Hiccup might have had children who knew something about where I could go and ask for forgiveness from my friend.

My selfishness caused me to wander for years, with no luck finding that person with powers like mine again. And when I had gone back to Berk....things had been different there.

"Aww... I am sorry... just don't even try to run away from us so you don't feel sorry again," Rapunzel says and gets off from the window still. She walks around the bedroom, made especially for the future prince or princess.

"Ah, reminds me of this," I say and pull out a wooden lizard.

"Oh my god so cute!" Rapunzel cheers and picks it out from my hands, "--like little Pascal!"

She places it to hang over the crib. And then flinches.

"Right! Umm... you remember when I asked you to come to my cousins coronation but you had that business with...umm..." Rapunzel says and tries to think.

"Long ears, chubby guy, tooth maniac and sleepy man" I reply to her and walk closer, "Yeah.. I guess I am a guardian of childhood now. "

"Oh! Congrats," Rapunzel cheers and then grabs my arm "So...back then there was this...crazy event...we were stuck in Arendelle for a week when my cousin...well... I guess she is like you!"

"Like me?" I laugh and frown when what she said was unbelievable.

"Yes...well... she suddenly freaked out, froze the entire hall and ran away... there was a snow storm and so on," Rapunzel explained and looked at me, "Maybe you were trying to find her. Maybe you were in Norway with the Vikings?"

"It can't be her unless she is like... almost a hundred years old," I hum and start to pace around after she let go of my arm.

"Oh...well..then maybe there has been two people like you or maybe my cousin is vampire," Rapunzel gasps.

"Punz... vampires don't exist," I sigh and stop pacing around.

"Daddy said that the Arendelle castle had been locked up for years....even though it was so beautiful. Jack...try meeting my cousins? I could send a letter beforehand--" Rapunzel cheers in excitement.

"No...no... I will go right away....well first I need to deal with something," I tell her but won't mention the darkness which was approaching her kingdom. The Nightmares.

"Then I will give you a letter to take with you, Elsa is really suspicious of new people," Rapunzel said and rushed to the desk and started writing.

"Elsa?" I wonder and go behind her. A glimpse of hope was taking some weight off from my chest.

I gratefully took the letter from her after she signed it and sealed it. I carefully place it inside my shirt and then she hugs me suddenly. I hug her tightly back and bury my face against her neck.

She was like the warmth of the sun. Like something that was a breathe from the past, from somewhere which is couldn't remember.

"Thank you...take care...both of you," I say and press my forehead against hers.

"You too Jack, you're going to be the uncle so don't miss the christening when it's time," She said and smiled as we let go of each other.

"Right....call the wind when you need me," I grin widely while backing towards the window.

"I will," She smiles and waves to me just before I disappear from her sight.

This ability had taken a while to learn, to turn invisible by will even from those who believed. Being believed at was a guardian thing, people believed in this Jack Frost who I am, the boy who nips noses. Still, I am more which I had learnt.

I fly towards the town which I was from, all the way to a tree that was old and standing at the edge of a town that had once risen from the ruins of another town. A town which I had once protected as a failed knight.

"Let me in," I say to the tree and watch how the branches alter and a door like feature appears. I walk in and the fluorescent rocks light up the room.

Flying through air had turned out to be a fast way to travel so I could easily keep this place like my home. I look through the objects which I had gathered in time, the armor which Hiccup had made me, the sword that Merida gave me and the weird looking clothes that Rapunzel had patched up. Still I chose the staff which was from this tree and the communication crystal so I could contact North and Sandy's pure golden dreamsand to protect me from monsters.

Then I took off,the tree returned to its normal shape as I flew higher and higher. The dark clouds were already near Rapunzels land. I had to stop them. The waves of clouds had appeared around the globe, bringing sadness and despair to the people living in there.

All of the guardians of childhood had left to stop them. It should be easy since North had imprisoned a man or shadow called Pitch Black. These were just his henchmen, desperately trying to feed their master more power through darkness.

Then I reached the mass of clouds, it spread around and brought dark shadows to the area it was covering. There was a clear difference in the area where it didn't touch. It was like the plants were dying, I could hear the children crying and people being in hunger, wanting to kill each other.

It reminded me of a time when war was brought to my home town, the day I died. With rage I flew towards the cloud, using the wind to stop it and blew it away, right over the ocean.

Once I reached the edge of the cloud, dark shadows flew to circle around me. They hit and cut me as they passed me. I kept slamming through the mass with my staff, the black creatures kept shattering into ice crystals as pure white as snow.

A storm was forming around me, lightnings were striking. This cloud was much bigger than we had ever thought.

--------

A/N: Reading the books by William Joyce atm. I am adding more of Nightlight and Jack Frost impressions from the books to this fanfiction ...combining books and the movie...so that's why things might seem a bit different.

Thoughts of the chapter?