Late Nights

I climb slowly making sure to put the least amount of pressure on my legs. When I make it to the top I notice that I'm not alone.

"Charlotte!" I exclaim getting to the top and sitting next to her. Her eyes were looking up at the stars.

"Hey star-gazer how was the adventure?" She asks perking up as if she had been waiting for something to do all day.

"It could have gone way better, we lost a guy, Atom, in acid fog." I tell her recalling that awful experience.

"That's too bad" She says peeling off wood from the tree and chucking it out over the top.

"What did you do?" I ask her trying to change the subject.

"Stayed here, went down to explore camp, came back up here"

"Ew gross, boredom sucks" I say scrunching my nose to the thought.

"Why do you hate being bored so much anyway?" She asks me.

"Well up on the Ark I never left my tiny room for six years except for those boring survival classes, and then I never left my cell for six more years. That's twelve whole years wasted!"

"Yeah I can relate to that" She says as she brings in her knees and rests her head on her arms.

"You know what lets do something, right now" I tell her getting up and holding out my hand for her.

"Like what?" She asks as she grabs my hand and gets up.

"It's your turn for an adventure" I say lifting up my eyebrow and smirking as I make my way down the tree.

When we are both down I check around camp to make sure nobody is watching, which to my surprise nobody was. I crouch down and motion for Charlotte to follow as we exit camp.

"You know how late it is! There are probably grounders everywhere." She shouts. I put my finger to my mouth telling her to shush.

"We aren't going far" I reassure her as we continue to walk through the pitch black forest.

We keep walking a little bit more until we arrive to a little stream in the middle of a clearing in the woods.

"I passed this when I was attempting to come back to camp." I say as I squat down and run my fingers through the cool water. Then I sit and stare up into the sky as there's a huge bright star glimmering the brightest with a bunch of little ones scattered around it.

"You think that big one is the ark?" She asks sitting down next to me.

"It just might be"

Then we continue to sit in silence as we star gaze. The silence was honestly nerve racking because every little crunch we heard, our heads snapped in that direction. Then there was this really loud splitting of a stick that seemed to be right next to us.

"We should leave now" I tell her as she nods quickly in agreement. We both start speed walking through the woods squeezing each other's hand tightly.

"So much for an adventure" She whispers causing me to chuckle.

We finally arrived back at the camp and we let go of hands.

"Maddie? Do you think I could sleep in your tent tonight, I can't sleep with Jasper making noises throughout the night."

"Yeah sure, I just gotta check in with Octavia." I tell her as I bring her to our tent and open the flap.

"Hey O can-" I start talking but realize Octavia wasn't there.

"You sure this is your tent? You've been known to go into the wrong one" She says and then smiles as I look at her in amusement about to laugh.

"Okay stalker your right" I tell her laughing as I go away from that tent and towards the drop ship. "Maybe she's in here"

I go up the ladder to the floor that Jasper is on and see Octavia sitting down next to him. Then I look to Jasper who is smiling with his eyes squinted open.

"Jasper!" I shout coming up to him and bending down on the other side. "Your awake"

"A little late there Maddie" He says smiling widely as he pokes my nose.

All I can do is smile back as my eyes start to fill up, this time with tears of joy. After more time of enjoying Jaspers survival I talked to Octavia.

"O do you think my friend can sleep in our tent, I know it's small but she has nowhere to stay and-"

"Maddie it's fine she can" Octavia cuts me off, still smiling at Jasper as she wipes a rag across his forehead.

"Thanks" I hug her quickly as I go back down the ladder but stop at the top. "Nice having you back Jasper"

I walk down the ladder to see Charlotte tossing and turning in the corner of the dropship. She was having a nightmare.

I go over to her and shake her.

"Charlotte wake up" I tell her as I sit next to her.

"No!" She shouts as she darts up, my hands on her shoulders.

"It was just a bad dream." I say still surprised about how much we were alike.

"Oh" She says panting as I get an idea.

"You know I had a bad dream just like you when I was out on my adventure today" I tell her sitting back against the dropship wall.

"Really?" She asks. "What did you do about it?"

"Well Bellamy just happened to be there and he told me to slay my demons, that way they won't be there to get my when I sleep." I tell her explaining everything Bellamy had said.

"Fear is death" She repeats once I was done giving her Bell's little speech.

"Now let's get back to that tent yeah?" I say getting up offering my hand once again as she accepted it.

"I have to pee first" She tells me as I was about to leave the dropship.

"Alright but make sure no grounders are watching" I chuckle as I wink and head out with her following.

"That's a sick thought" She says back as we part our ways.

I settle down in the tent and set up a new pile of blankets for Charlotte when she comes back. I attempted to wait up for her but my eyes were heavy and I immediately fell right asleep.