two

chapter two

the whole morning felt like a complete blur to me as i happily walked into starbucks, clutching my phone tightly. at seven am this morning, every parent who had a child at penbrooke high had been informed by text that there was a power outage at school, and therefore all classes were cancelled. morgan started screaming excitedly, turning her music up to full volume, whilst i changed out of my pyjamas and began to get ready for the day.

black, high waisted jeans clung to my legs, which i had paired with a white t shirt that had the gucci logo emblazoned across it. i brought my lips up into a smile as my eyes connected with the barista. troye was emblazoned on a white name tag, and his bleach blonde hair – despite completely clashing with his bottle green uniform – framed his pale complexion, along with a grin.

after ordering a raspberry frappuccino, i perched on one of the leather bar stools, resting my drink on the table and bringing out my phone. i scrolled through my social media as i pondered on how to spend my day of freedom.

my thoughts, however, were interrupted by a loud slurping sound. i snapped my head upwards from my iphone, vision landing on a boy drinking my coffee. the boy sat opposite me ran a hand through his auburn hair as i coughed, gaining his attention. his eyes, a blue green ocean, twinkled as he licked his lips slightly, twisting the straw between his thumb and forefinger.

i almost gasped in disbelief, spluttering 'excuse me?' and reaching for my drink. the boy grinned, pulling the cup away from my grasp with a smirk on his face. 'give me my drink back!' i exclaimed, jaw almost dropping open.

'no,' he said with a soft smile, lifting his head so he stared right into my eyes. at this point i got a proper look at him, with his messy bed head quiff and slight stubble on his jaw line. 'not until you tell me your name, princess.'

i practically choked on air, looking at him like he was ludicrous. 'what? what do you mean, princess?' i stuttered, in complete awe at his insanity, reaching forward again in attempt to redeem what was mine.

the boy shook his head slightly, a wry smile on his lips as he pulled the cup away. 'pink drink, designer clothes, pretty face?' he had this stupid smirk on his lips as he spoke, and i blushed as he articulated the last two words. 'you're definitely a princess, if you ask me.'

my cheeks grew red as my stomach filled with an uneasy feeling. 'well, i didn't ask you, so give me my drink back and go away.' i snapped curtly at him, making him chuckle in disbelief.

'okay, princess, let me start. i'm shane dawson.' he grinned, sticking his hand out towards me. i eyed him carefully, glancing at his clothes. black basketball shorts sat on his hipbones, along with a green t shirt that had some kind of logo i didn't recognise printed in the corner. they didn't look expensive, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was friends with someone like garrett, or his brother. he looked around our age anyway. 'you are...?' he prompted, quirking an eyebrow.

'getting bored, and rather thirsty.' i remarked in irritation, glaring at him. he laughed, perhaps more of a giggle, and set my frappe down on the table in front of us, drinking mockingly, raising one eyebrow at me. impatiently, i sighed and retorted, 'listen, shawn, or whatever you name is–'

'shane.' he corrected. i fully well knew it was shane dawson. the second the name fell out of his lips, it was like it was being played on loop in my head. his cheeks hollowed as he sucked on the straw of my now half-empty drink, and his eyes flicked upwards and connected with mine, making my stomach churn.

why was i feeling like this? like i was on a theme park ride, or about to go down a water slide; full of adrenaline.

'i'm not sure what you want,' i eyed his lips, cherry red from how much he'd bitten them in the last few minutes of confrontation, 'why do you even want to know my name anyway?'