Chapter 6

Lila

The conversation I had with my mother left me reeling. I knew she was right but I still couldn't accept it yet nor was I ready to accept it.

I thanked the man for refuelling my car and paid him.

My eyes locked onto the new shopping area, curiosity filled me and I found myself parking in the parking lot. I got out of the car and got more than a few curious stares. They probably recognized my face; after all, it has been plastered more than once on many magazines and tabloids.

I aimlessly walked around browsing around in a few stores.

I was shocked to see screaming teens in the parking lot. They surrounded a car waving papers and jumping. When I saw a figure emerge from the car, my blood ran cold. I certainly did not expect to see her here.

The girl with the brown hair waved her hands and took pictures with the crowd and signed autographs. The crowd cheered and screamed. I was subtly trying to step back when her eyes flicked over to me and widened.

I saw her walking towards me and I was stepping backwards faster. I spun around and started to jog when a hand clamped on my arm. "Lila, please stop."

I slowed and turned around to face Chris' sister. "Stephanié."

We stared at each other for a few seconds. Words failed to come out from either of us. "Let's go somewhere private." She started to lead me towards her car.

I pulled on her arm. "I don't think that crowd would let us pass." I bit my lip and sighed. "Let's go to my car."

I pointed to it and she nodded.

We sat in the car and I fiddled with the radio. "So how are things with you?" Stephanié asked awkwardly.

"Don't pretend to be nice to me if you don't want to. I did leave your brother after all." I said sadly and stared through the window.

"That's the thing Lila, I love you. You're literally a sister to me."

I started crying. "I'm sorry." I said as I wiped my tears. "Must be my hormones."

She smiled softly. "So it's true then. You are pregnant."

I nodded. I was enveloped in a hug. "I'm so happy for you and Chris."

I grabbed onto her hand. "You can't tell him I'm here." I begged.

"Don't you think that he already knows?"

I shrugged. "So what are you doing here?"

"I'm on tour and I have a few shows here."

"How did you know that I was pregnant?"

"Mom told me that Chris told her when she went to him this morning."

There was a pregnant pause (no pun intended) before Stephanié asked. "Why did you leave him? I know you love him."

"That I do, but his infidelity broke my heart."

"What now?" Stephanié's brow rose.

I let out an unladylike snort. "I got a picture of him and a woman kissing last month. I was so shocked when I saw it."

"Are you sure it's not photo shopped? I mean, that's a little farfetched for Chris to do and a lot of people probably want to tear you guys apart."

"I had it checked out. I'm afraid it's genuine."

"Damn," Stephanié whistled lowly. "I did not expect that from Chris. All those times he spent professing his love for you until you finally noticed him. He threw that all away. I want to hit him so hard right now until he comes to his senses."

I laughed. Stephanié could always bring a smile to my lips. "I'm so glad that you're not mad at me."

She rolled her eyes. "I wanted to hate you at first. When mom told me she found Chris passed out from liquor I was mad at you for making my brother hurt like that. When I saw you, I had to talk to you. I had to ask you 'Why?' I realized I could never be mad at you. You mean so much to my family and I. I hope you let us be part of your baby's life."

"Don't worry. You can spoil him or her as much as you like. I'd never be cruel as to not let my baby know its father or his family."

She opened the car door. "My fans are getting restless."

I looked over to where her eyes were focused. "It's okay. Go."

She smiled at me gratefully. "Don't be a stranger Lila," she said before closing the door.

"You don't have to worry, I won't."

I watched herfleeting figure. I know I could trust her but I was slightly worried she wouldtell Chris my whereabouts. I knew we were close, Stephanié and I, but Chris washer brother. Family, after all, is everything.