Chapter 7

Lila

After my run in with Stephanié I made my way home. Coils of nervousness bundled in my stomach making me somewhat uncomfortable.

I arrived home and parked my car. I was immediately curious at the Bugatti Veyron casually parked outside. I grabbed my purse and went inside.

Two pairs of eyes turned to meet me. I was relieved to see my father and brother casually drinking wine. A radiant smile lit up my face as I rushed towards my brother. He stood up to meet me and lifted me into the air as I launched into his arms. He hugged me and placed a kiss on my forehead.

I nestled my head into the crook of his neck and smiled. "I'm so happy to see you."

He offered me some of his wine. I shook my head. "I can't drink that."

He raised his brow in question. I smiled. "I'm pregnant."

He grinned. "To your health then."

I ruffled his hair. "Thank you."

"I know you always wanted to have a baby. Congratulations!"

I hugged him and he kissed my forehead, again. "Take good care of yourself."

I withdrew from his embrace and walked up the stairs. "I'm going to take a bath."

Once I was freshly showered and changed, I went downstairs.

I stretched out in the beige loveseat beside my brother. "Jon, where's mom?"

He shrugged. "She went out before you came."

At that moment, dad came in the room with a tub of ice-cream. "You're going to get so fat if you stop jogging." I giggled.

He stuck his tongue out at me and teasingly lifted another spoon to his mouth. He raised an eyebrow as if daring me to do something about it. I rolled my eyes.

A moment later, the phone in his study rang. He sighed and put the tub on the glass centre-table and walked off. As soon as he was out of sight, I got up and took up the tub and sat where my father vacated.

Defiantly, I jammed the spoon in the tub and scooped up a large amount of ice-cream and put it in my mouth. "Mmmmhh, Chunky Monkey."

My brother chortled. "You look like a cat on crack."

I gave him my middle finger causing him to laugh even harder.

"And I just leave for a minute." I turned to see my father shaking his head, a scowl present on his face.

"You were the one who started it . . . waving this big tub of ice-cream in front of me . . . and you know how I love Chunky Monkey . . . besides, mom wouldn't like it if the tub drains water all over her precious centre table." I rambled between spoons of ice-cream.

I gave him the tub and slipped on some slippers. "I'm going outside for a walk."

I stepped into the garden. I walked between the rows of roses. The gardener kept the roses in an amazing condition. I fingered the petal of one of the roses.

I walked absentmindedly until I was in front of the garden swing. I sat and it swung with me. Laughter bubbled up inside me.

My mind calmed and I began to remember the days where Chris and I were at Harvard and how our relationship developed. It started when I began University studying Economics.

*** Harvard Campus, Eight years ago***

I walked stupidly down the hall for the fifth time. I peered at my class card for the nth time and sighed. I was completely lost.

"Why does the campus have to be so damn big," I cursed.

"I asked myself that same question during my first year."

I turned around to face a brown haired lady killer, smiling behind me. Instantly my cheeks coloured.

"So I take it that you're lost."

I nodded. I didn't trust myself to speak at that moment; I was still tongue tied.

"Let me see your class card."

I handed it to him and fidgeted with the end of my shirt. He looked at my card and a smile bloomed across his face. "You're in the wrong building. The Department of Economics is on the other side of campus."

"You mean all the way over there," I gestured to the opposite direction with my right hand, the left one on my hip. "I'm just coming from over there." I shrieked.

He watched my dramatic display, snickering. I glowered at him and slapped his shoulder, "Are you laughing at me?"

He stood there still laughing. "Urgh, jerk." I said in disgust and walked away. This sobered him up instantly.

He jogged behind me and grabbed my hand. "Wait, I'll take you there."

"It's okay," I refused.

"No, I insist. I'm even heading that way." He persisted.

I relented. "Fine, show me where to go."

He smiled causing me to smile too.

Five minutes later, he showed me the Department of Economics.

"Thank you." I smiled while clutching my bag. "I don't know how to thank you. I don't even know your name."

"It's Chris, Christopher James." He stuck out his hand for me to shake. "What's your name?"

"Lila Parker."

"A beautiful name for a beautiful face."

"Does that line even work?" My eyebrow shot up into the air.

"Touché."

"What are studying?" I asked.

"I'm in my second year or Business Administration."

"Well bye then Chris."

"Bye."

We instantly became friends. We met quite a lot over the next few weeks. Ever since the first day, he made it his duty to hit on me every time he saw me.

It puzzled him that I was immune to his charms. I wasn't though; I just had a great poker face. I started to like him. Every sweet thing he did pulled me in even more. He brought me candy, offered to carry my books and helped me with studies.

I was like a moth drawn to light and he was a giant beacon in front of me.

It was the day before summer holidays. I had done my last exam, my suitcases were packed and my room was tidy. I was laying on my bed texting when an urgent knock sounded on my door.

I jumped up and opened the door. "Oh, it's you Chris."

"Were you expecting someone better?" he smirked.

I rolled my eyes.

"Come in," I gestured for him to come in.

"Actually, take one last walk with me before you go home."

"Sure, let me grab my purse."

We strolled in the park talking sweet nonsense and reminiscing over the past year.

I looked at her watch. "I'm going to have to leave you Chris. I want to go to sleep so that I can get an early start on tomorrow."

"Wait!" his eyes looked desperate.

He held my face with both hands, butterflies danced in my stomach as I stared into his eyes. "Lila, I love you. I didn't want you to go home and not hear me say that. I don't know how to say it to make you believe me but I'm saying it anyways."

Tears sprang to my eyes. "I love you too Chris. As much as I tried to resist it, I couldn't."

He leant down and I tilted my face upwards. My hands went around his neck and he pulled me impossibly close and then . . . he kissed me. It was an electrifying, toe curling kiss that shook me to my core.