Chapter 13

Lila

My heart beat sped up and my palms became clammy.

I couldn't seem to stop staring at him. Never once did his eyes leave mine. The urge to leave became overpowering.

Shakily, I rose to my feet. "Excuse me," I pushed past Jon. He held on to my wrist but the look of pain in my eyes made him let me go.

I steered around a few of the event goers. 

When I felt like I could breathe again, I stopped walking.

A large tent was set up with tables covered with white cloth and chairs were placed. This was the refreshment area.

I wandered into the great house on the property. The age of the house was marvelously preserved and the furnishing looked antique.

"Can I help you miss?" 

I spun around. A maid stood there with a feather duster in her hand.

"Oh, I'm just wandering around while searching for the bathrooms."

She smiled at me. "It's down the hallway." 

I thanked her.

The floors were covered with long oriental rugs. I admired the way the slight renovations did nothing to change the antique feel of the home but complimented it instead.

I wanted to tear out my eyes for the sight that greeted me when I turned the corner.

The small squeak of shock I made separated the lovers from their heated kiss. My cheeks heated up in embarrassment at the same time my eyes narrowed.

I backed away when I recognized the figures. The familiar red hair framed the shock on Katarina's face.

Recognition and worry flashed through the face of my husband's best friend.

"I'll just keep searching elsewhere," I murmured.

"LILA," the two voices yelled as I spun and walked away wishing the ground would swallow me up.

I turned random corners before they finally caught up with me. My cheeks coloured again when I saw their faces. Marco's hair was disheveled and Katarina's lipstick was smudged signalling to what they were doing.

My eyes tried to find something else to focus on.

"Marvelous painting don't you think!" I said enthusiastically as I pointed to a painting on the wall.

"Lila." Katarina pleaded with me. "You can't tell anyone."

My cheeks became even hotter.

"Don't worry, I won't. I'm trying to erase that memory from my mind."

Then I caught Marco's eyes. I winced. I didn't want to face him right now. I turned to leave but was held in place by Marco.

"I need to talk to you." He said.

"We need to get back to the match," My voice a bit more high pitched.

"Miss did you find the bathroom?" The same maid from earlier stood in the hallway. Wrong timing much.

I shook my head.

"I'll show you to the bathroom," Marco volunteered readily. Before I could protest he had hooked his arm with mine and was already leading me to the bathroom.

When we were alone he murmured, "How are you?"

"I'm doing fine actually." My hand gently touched my stomach. His eyes caught the gesture and softened.

"How's the baby?"

"Its fine. I don't want to stress too much and hurt it. Which brings the question, What do you want Marco?"

"My best friend is hurting Lil. He loves you with his heart."

"Please stop!" I exclaimed.

"I'm not telling you to run back to him, I'm telling you to hear him out. I'm sure he has a side to the story as well."

I shook his hand off mine, disgust pooled in my stomach.

Having his friends beg for him. . . pathetic.

"I'm heading back to the match," I said coldly.

It was like a dark cloud had parked itself over my happiness.

I made it back to the venue without running into anyone else.

Sitting beside my brother was Katarina. He had his arm slung over her chair. She had reapplied her lipstick, smoothed down her hair and once more looked flawless.

She glanced at me when I approached. I didn't say anything,not my love life, I thought.

Marco arrived a few minutes after I did. Thankfully, he was seated a good distance from me.

For the rest of the match, Jon gazed at Katarina who's eyes flitted nervously from me to Marco. He in turn had his eyes glued to my head back. I ignored them and stared gleefully at the polo match as if I was interested in it. 

When the match was over, the winning players whooped for joy because of their win. My body ran cold when Chris broke away from the celebration.

His horse trotted proudly to my general direction.

I stared him in the eyes as he grinned at me. He was teasing me.

When he dismounted from his horse and approached me, I couldn't move.

When he placed his polo stick in my laps as a token, all I could think about was pummeling him with the darn stick.

Well Hello there! 

Sorry for the late update.

Did you like the chapter?