Chapter 15

Lila

I didn't see the turnout of the matches. The finals, who the winners were, I missed it all.

After the break, the ladies who would be participating in the auction were whisked off to get ready. 

It was for a good cause, the proceeds would go to charity to help the struggling mothers of the world.

There were twelve of us women to be auction.  The highest bidder would get to go on a date of sorts with us.

To make sure everyone looked their best, a stylist was hired for us. The stylist would go to everyone and select the best gown for that person and help with their hair.

I was in a bathrobe sitting in a plush armchair sipping a cup of green tea. I've been sitting and doing nothing for around an hour waiting for the stylist. This was my third cup of tea.

Just as I got up, the door opened.

"Hi."

"Hello," I greeted the bubbly blonde at the door.

She walked over to me, hand outstretched for a handshake.

"I'm Crystal by the way, you must be Lila."

"Okay, I already picked a dress for you. I was sent your measurements as well as pictures and I thought this particular dress would suit your body type and bone structure.

She went outside and brought back a garment bag with my name on it. She zipped it open to the most beautiful blood-red dress. It was a simple design without patterns but was off the shoulder. Being a designer myself, I appreciated good designs and I liked this one.

"Oh my gosh! That is so beautiful, where did you get it?"

Crystal grinned at me like a cheshire. "Oh, the event organizers presented me with different dresses."

The dress fit me like a glove. I appreciated the dress on my body from a full length mirror conveniently propped in the corner.

"I love it!"

"Let's get your hair done and you'll be ready."

"I feel like I'm getting married again with all this planning!"

"Certainly excited isn't it." Crystal agreed.

"Now that the hair is out of the way, let's choose your shoes."

She surveyed the shoes available.

"So I was told that you were pregnant so no heels for you."

We settled on a pair of elegant silver slippers. 

"Oh my gosh look at the time! We're ten minutes late."

I quickly slipped on the slippers. Crystal helped me to sort of run by holding up the dress so I wouldn't trip.

We stopped at the door to the reception room. Crystal dabbed at my brows at patted my hair and dress one last time.

"Okay, you can go now. Heads high and smile."

I opened the double doors and walked inside, a huge smile on my face.

The audience all turned to look at me, I was a bit mortified.

Fashionably late they say.

The master of ceremonies met me at the bottom of the steps, "Ah, here we have the lovely Lila. Quite a fine catch at this auction."

He led me to where the other girls were standing. 

"Okay, let this auction begin."

"As you know, the winning team has first preference for the girls, so let the winning team members step forward."

I felt queasy when the members of Chris's team begin to step forward. My eyes wildly searched for his face in the crowd and I was displeased to see him stepping forward as well.

The captain put first preference on a pretty blond girl. 

I wanted to throw a bitch fit when I saw Chris approaching me. My eyes were screaming 'do not approach me' to him and I was glaring at him hoping he would spontaneously combust on the spot.

"I place my first preference on her."

Da da dunnn.