three

Mapleflash yawned, stretching. Her green eyes wide. It was very, very early in the morning, and Whisperleaf was twitching, as if having a nightmare. The calico she-cat decided to pad out of the warriors' den, and checked the fresh-kill pile.

Empty.

She went to the dirtplace, taking care of her needs, before padding out of camp to stock the pile. Even though she knew Whisperleaf's dream was to lead a Clan, Mapleflash couldn't help but to keep her reputation high among OakClan. If she didn't.. well, she doesn't like to think about that. Imagine! Having a lowly reputation among your peers! Just the thought made her shudder with fear.
The short-furred she-cat crouched, her pelt camouflaging her perfectly within the crisp, multicolour, leaffall leaves. She scented the air, Mapleflash's ears twitching ever so quietly to try to find the chitter of prey. With no luck, the calico stealthily stalked, until she scented a mouse.
However, she could not see it, so she creeped along the smell's path. Focusing too hard on her would-be victim, she stepped on a dry, crackly twig.
The mouse scurried away.
"Mouse-dung!" She hissed under her breath, before looking around for prey that didn't hear her. She scowled at her luck. Nothing else, it seemed! Mapleflash padded back to camp, catching little prey on her way back. She passed a few patrols, and talked to Rivertail quick before picking her prey back up, and putting it on the fresh-kill pile.
"Adding to the pile, I see," Petalstar smiled. "Your friend, Whisperleaf? She left awhile after you did. Didn't see her come back."
Mapleflash faked a smile, hiding her annoyance. "She leaves all the time, Petalstar. I'm just gonna clean my fur, relax a bit, then continue hunting."
Petalstar muttered, trotting towards his den, where his loyal and faithful deputy, Quailfoot, was sitting, waiting for a chance to speak to him.
The camp was littered with leaves, the dens covered. Most of the Clan enjoyed the extra protection. But she hated it. The crunching hurt her ears, the crackle as paws crushed the brittle leaves making her wince.
Whisperleaf loved it so much, though. She liked the dry flowers, the smells, and how plump and juicy prey was. Mapleflash felt bad. Her friend was always so optimistic, and here she was, only thinking about what she hated.
Her mind floated to what Whisperleaf and her had talked about.
Running away.
To make a Clan.

She would never do that, surely! Whisperleaf loved her Clan, she wanted to be deputy! Mapleflash curled her claws in frustration at her best friend's selfishness. Wait...
The calico she-cat flooded with embarrassment and annoyance as she realized: Tigerstrike had been talking to her the whole time! The tom was now padding out camp, tail between his legs.
"So that's how it is.. I see.." She could ever so faintly hear his growls. Mapleflash sighed, knowing he would never give up. Why did she have to be 'cool'? 'popular'? The terms were meaningless to her, but meant everything to Whisperleaf. She wanted the white cat to love her forever, so Mapleflash pretended.

One can only act for so long until she is found out.