eight

I stared out my den in loneliness. This group of cats had captured several others, forcing them to work with us. I never imagined that Whisker would be so cruel. He told the younger ones lies about my dear son, calling him a rampaging murderer.

Before, I had tried to tell him that power had made him foxhearted.
"You pathetic mousebrain, just keep your mouth shut! Those are lies, you hear me? Lies!" He would cruelly scratch and bite me, but I did not fight back.
I could tell he was trying to convince himself just as much as me.
Apple had her kits, which I mainly helped to bring into this not-so-beautiful world. Two she-kits and a tom, but one she-kit died of hunger. We spent half our time looking for herbs, two thirds of the rest border patrolling, and the last third left hunting. I'm not used to such stuff, so I mainly do the border patrol and look for herbs, of which we have too many.
Her kits' names were Sparrow and Wren. Sparrow was the she-kit, Wren the tom. Her young son acted like a she-cat once he could walk, sighing dreamily and wishing he could nurse kits. I chuckled at the thought, of a tom being a queen. Dear Wren would soon learn that that is not the way StarClan intended we bring kits: toms hunt for the young ones while she-cats nurse for them.

That is what my father and mother told me.

I watched as River came back, his jaws filled with comfrey and a mouse. More plant than prey. My claws scratched at the ground impatiently. Why did Whisker have to make this sorry excuse of a united family a group of plant-eaters? I shook my head microscopically, and continued watching. Where is my dear son? I hope he is alright.
And my brave daughter, Cypressscar. She was very brave to stand up to the others and leave, and it makes me wonder.. should I have left too? My fur was matted, as was everyone else here. We were increasingly thin and had to eat herbs to numb the pain. Of course, everyone but Whisker. He seemed to be feeding off this, with Flower faring equally as well.
Life seemed to be survival of the fittest, within our own group. Whisker has grown fat, while even the kits have jutting bones. We hunt as much as possible, but with so few cats we cannot fend off the many rogues that have invaded. I have seen Whisperleaf and few others among them, but I refuse to tell anyone. If anyone were to know that our former Clanmates were attempting to attack, there would be war.
What scares me most is that I have not seen Mapleflash since she ran away. Even though my motherly instincts, still left over, tell me to worry, I am sure she is fine. Mapleflash is a strong she-cat who can fend off the strongest.
Apple prodded me, taking me from my memories. She asked, "Claw, I need some herbs for Wren and Sparrow's hunger. I asked Whisker if they could have a piece of p-prey each," her voice was shaky, and she stuttered a lot.
"But he said they had to share half a mouse with m-me!" Apple wailed, hiding her face in my shoulder fur. I offered my comfort.
"Shh, Apple. I know it's difficult. We'll get out soon," That was all I could manage. I could clearly see the young mother's bones jutting out her fur, as if her skin would break and bone would break through if she moved. I grimaced as I thought about how I would get Apple and her kits out of here. Poor Apple was Whisker's own mate, yet he treated Flower better, who seemed to be getting plumper every day.

Whisker had started battle training furiously, saying nonsense like "The rogues will attack us!" or "Petalstar will come back.."
He seemed more scared than angry, but his temper was so short.
Flower came up to me, wincing in pain. "My belly hurts," she moaned, "can you check and see what it is?"
I nodded, ignoring her whining, which would've frustrated me when I was younger. My paw resting softly on her belly, I tried feeling for a lump or potentially, kits. Sure enough, I meowed, "You're expecting kits, Flower. Whose are they?"
Her eyes lit up immediately. "I have to tell Whisker!"
That gave me the answer. I felt incredibly bad for Apple, who had been ditched for another she-cat.
However, I had to feel happy for the new mates, and for these kits' luckiness. They will grow up with too much food to eat while their peers are nothing but skin and bone.