2. Shifting Trails

Following the dirt trail I finally came to a small shrine. It was my understanding, as told to me by the village chief, that the king of the forest lived in this small shrine. Although I couldn't see how. The thing was tiny, no bigger than a dog house. No the less I did as I had been instructed and placed the documents I had been given at the foot of the shrine. Immediately a bright white flash and a bell chimed and when I looked back the papers were gone.

"That was kinda cool." I mutter to myself. Now on the foot of the shrine where the documents used to be was a small envelope. I took the envelope and put it in my bag to give to the chief upon my return back to the village. However, when I turned back around to follow the trail home I found it had completely vanished.

"Oh no." 

I quickly try to back track my steps in hopes of finding it again but it is of no use. It is gone. And to make matters worse I am starting to here noises in the forest around me. I have this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that I must keep moving so I did even though I had not a clue where to go. Aimlessly I wandered in what I hoped was the right direction and all the while the sounds behind me persisted.

"I'm sure its nothing." I whispered to myself. "Probably just some little animal."

I continued walking until the trees cleared and I stepped into a small flower field. My shoulders tensed and I unconsciously took a step back as I caught sight of a person sitting at the other side of the field with their back turned to me. It appeared to be a boy about my age with shaggy white hair and pale skin. He wore dirty brown clothes devoid of all color except for an oversized green scarf he had wrapped around his shoulders.

Now here I had a choice: I could turn around and pretend I didn't see anything and keep wandering aimlessly or I could ask for directions. In all honesty I didn't trust anyone I might met in this forest but the merman Merlin wasn't so bad so perhaps there were other nice people as well.

"Hello?" I quietly called out which was immediately followed by...

"Get lost."

My heart sank. I guess not everyone here was nice. 

"I said leave." The boy growled as he turned to face me. He had a bit of a baby face with chubby cheeks and big green eyes that were fixed in a glare. he also had long pointed ears so I was guessing he was some sort of elf or fairy. I shifted uncomfortably under his gaze as he seemed to silently check me over.

"Are you the messenger?" he growled. I silently nodded. "What the hell are you doing all the way over here?"

"I'm just a bit lost....and I keep hearing noises." I muttered shyly.

"Noises?" The boy looked past me curiously and then grinned.

"Oh. That's just Ray. Don't worry. He doesn't bite......often."

I looked behind me confused. In the darkness of the woods I couldn't see anything. As I gazed closer I quietly gasped as my eyes landed on two glowing yellow eyes staring back at me from the trees.

"Why did you tell her? You're no fun!" A silky voice teased as a person emerged from the woods. He was tall with long brown hair and piercing yellow eyes. He wore casual clothes, blue jeans and a white t-shirt with a black leather jacket over top however his shirt and pants were heavily ripped and he walked barefoot. As he drew closer I also caught sight of two fluffy ears on top of his head and a long fluffy brown tail swaying back and forth at his back. 

I continually took a step back as he took a forward until I was cornered between the shaggy dog man and the angry elf. The dog man leaned over steadily and sniffed the air around me as I stood petrified.

"She's kind of cute." He said slyly with a wide smile as his tail wagged violently at his back.

"Hands off the messenger, Ray." The elf boy hissed.

"You're no fun!" Ran whined. "I was only teasing. It gets so boring around here after all."

"That's no excuse to cause trouble!" The elf snapped back. The dog man, Ray, simply shrugged as he leaned closer and threw an arm around my shoulder. I flinched at the close contact and he smiled down at me.

"So what are you doing way over here?" He asked, a slight purr in his tone.

"I got lost...." I muttered under my breath just barely loud enough for him to hear me.

"You're lost? That's great! I can show you the way back!" He beamed as his tail began to wag again.

"Like hell you will!" The elf growled. "I know your games Ray! You're not the helpful type!"

"I can if I want to be, but if you distrust me so much you can come along as well."

The elf flinched as his shoulders tensed and he growled lowly.

"Fine." He seethed as he walked over to separate us before trotting in a random direction into the woods. 

"Don't mind him. He's just cranky. I'm Ray by the way." Ray said with a tip of his head.

"I already got that." I answered.

"ANd the cranky one over there is Theo." He said pointing at the angry elf who was waiting for us at the edge of the clearing. I nodded in understanding as I stepped forward to follow Theo as he led Ray and I deeper into the woods.

"Whats your name, darling?" Ray asked as we walked.

"I'm Y/n." I answered and Theo twitched but he didn't stop moving forward nor did he stop to look back.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, princess." Ray purred and I could see his tail wagging behind him.

"You're very expressive." I giggled and Ray tilted his head confused. I pointed at his tail and he looked back and blushed.

"I forgot about that." He giggled, his face red with embarrassment.

"Stop flirting back there!" Theo growled as we stepped out of the trees and onto the dirt road. Looking out I could see the exit in the distance.

"Thank you for your help." I told the two boys. Theo simply shrugged and took off running in the other direction while Ray offered me a small bow.

"It was a pleasure." he hummed. "I hope to see you again in the future."

I nodded before turning to leave. All the while walking back I could feel Ray's eyes on me but when I turned back around he was gone.