25. Legs

"Y/n have you already forgotten? This is the forest. We are all monsters here."

"What do you mean?" I ask as I pull away slightly but my question is cut short as the sound of thundering footsteps echoed through the forest running at a fast pace.

"He's coming!" I squeal and I feel Merlin take my arms and wrap them around his waist.

"Hold on."He instructs me and before I can ask why Merlin and I plunge beneath the surface of the water. I close my eyes and hold my breath as I feel water rush past my ears as Merlin takes off swimming in one direction. He swims fast, speeding through the water like a rocket and I have to hold onto to him tightly to keep from falling off. Finally, just as I was starting to run out of air, his speed slows down and we are pulled up as we break the surface. I cough as my lungs pull in much needed oxygen.

"I'm so sorry." Merlin mutters nervously. "I forgot about the whole breathing thing."

"Its fine." I say as I finally open my eyes and look around. We are in the middle of a small pond which is surrounded on all four sides by a mossy shore beyond which is only about two feet of wet grassland before it gives way to a dense overcrowding of trees. The trees grow slanted over the pond so they block out the sun and the only light let in is filtered through the branches to cast shallow rays along the waters clear surface. Turning around I see no way we could have gotten here. There is no river or stream connecting to the pond nor is there any other way for Merlin to swim through.

"Where are we?" I ask as Merlin silently swims us over to shore and pushes me up onto the mossy rocks. "And how did we get here?"

"This place just so happens to be one in which Ray can't find." States Merlin. "And as to the how, there are several underwater tunnels connecting to my lake that can take me to various places all over the forest. There is even one tunnel that will take me into your village if I ever wished to go."

"I didn't know that." I state absently as I wring the water from my shirt.

"You're hurt." Says Merlin as he looks over my scratched face and skinned knees where blood still oozes from the small cuts.

"It's nothing."

"Did Ray hurt you?"

"No..." My voice trails off as my head feels as if it is in a daze. "I still can't believe that this is happening." Imumble. "The Ray I know isnt like this. The Ray I know is kind and sweet and friendly. He would never hurt anyone."

"The Ray you know is a werewolf." Merlin states. "It doenst matter how nice or friendly he may appear he is still a werewolf and werewolves are known for being cruel and violent."

"I can't believe that."

"But you saw it with your own eyes!"

"I don't trust my eyes right now!" I yell. "I don't trust anything. I wish I had never come to this stupid forest. I wish I had never been given this stupid messenger job. What do I do?"

I look down only to see that Merlin is no longer listening as he stares mesmerized at my bleeding knees.

"Sorry. Does it bother you?" I ask as I tap him lightly on the shoulder. Merlin jumps back startled as he looks up at me.

"What?"

"The blood?" I ask. "Does it bother you?"

"It's not that..." His voice trails off. "Its just the leg that fascinates me is all. I've always wondered..."

All of a sudden Merlin leans foreward and licks the stream of blood off my leg.

"What are you doing!?" I yell as I pull my leg back. "Thats gross!"

"Tastes funny." Merlin mumbles. "Kind of mineraly and metallic with a sort of slimy texture."

"What are you doing?" I ask again.

"I'm just fascinated by your legs is all. Like is the blood in your leg different than the bllod in your arm. Is the skin texture different? If I pinched your foot or bit your leg, how much would you feel it?" He seems transfixed by the idea as he stared at my leg.

"Don't." I stated sternly as I pulled both my legs out of the water which in turn caused Merlin to panic as he grabbed my left foot and pulled it back in.

"I'm sorry!" He yelled. "Did I scare you? I didnt mean to scare you! Please dont be mad!"

"I'm not mad. Just let go." I said calmly but he didnt let go. Instead he held my foot tightly under water with ne hand while the other came up to play with my toes. It tickled but not in a laughing kind of way and instead it more or less made my skn crawl.

"You know I used to have legs." Merlin stated absently. "It was a long long time ago but then I lost the priveledge and became stuck here. I never knew how unbelievably lonely it was..." His voice trailed off until all of a sudden his lips twisted into a smile as his eyes lit up.

"I have an idea!" He said happily. "Why don't you stay here with me?"

"What?!"

"You're scared of Ray, right? You dont want him to find you so why dont you just stay here with me. I'll keep you safe and you wouldnt have to be scared anymore. Doesnt that sound great?"

"Merlin...I can't."

His smile faded. "...why not?"

"I have a family waiting for me back at the village. My brother is most certaintly waiting for me right now. He must be worried."

"But-but if you leave I'll worry. I'll be scared and worried and lonely and you dont want that!"

"I'm sorry Merlin but I cant. I have to go."

Merlin's smile completely drops and he frowns as he stares down at the water. A couple minutes go by in complete silence as I look up at the setting sun.

"I have to go now." I state.

"...n.."

"Merlin, please let go of my foot."

"..nn..." Merlin mumbles absently under his breath.

"What was that?"

"NO!" Merlin suddenly screams and I feel a sharp pain in my leg as I am violently pulled into the water. There is a loud splash as I slip beneath the surface. I feel Merlins arms around me holding me under the surface as I thrash around in place.

"You can't leave!" Merlins voice echoes under the water. "You can't leave me! I won't let you!"