22. Alice

"I'm so happy to see you." I say as I quickly approach Ray. He cocks his head to the side in confusion but smiles nonetheless.
"Thanks?" He says happily, his tail still wagging slightly behind him.
"I have so much to tell you! Seally is alive!"
"What!? Really!?" Ray yells, genuinely surprised. "But what about the body in the river?" He asks.
"It was Sloane."
"How do you know that?"
"Seally told me."
"Did Seally kill her?" Ray asks.
"I don't know. He says he didn't, but I'm not too sure what to believe. For now we have to find Alice. She might still be alive and she would know what happened. Do you know where she might be?"
"Sorry but I don't. I already went looking for her yesterday and had no luck."
"She might be hiding. Someone must know where she is."
"We can ask around but I don't think we will have much luck."
"I'll still want to try." I say desperately. "If she's still alive she must be so scared right now."
"That is unless she is the one who killed Sloane." Ray whispers to himself as he scratches at the back of his ears.
"What did you say?" I ask.
"...nothing. Let's go talk to Theo."
"I'd rather go talk to Merlin first." I say and I can see Ray twitch slightly at the name.
"...why?"
"Merlin is a merman. He would probably know them better than Theo, being the same species and all."
Ray pauses as I can see him contemplate this.
"Fine." He mutters as he turns towards the lake. If he thinks I haven't noticed his offputting behavior at the mention of Merlin, he is wrong.
"Are you and Merlin fighting?" I ask and he seems genuinely surprised by the question.
"No."
"Then why does it seem like you don't want to see him?"
"What about you?" Ray asks, suddenly taking the offensive. "Are you really ok with seeing him after what he did..." his voice trails off and I stare at him blankly confused.
"I don't know how you found out but you don't have to worry about it. It doesn't bother me anymore."
"Why not?" Ray asks, suddenly angry.
"I don't know... it just doesn't bother me."
"So it wouldn't bother you if I did the same?" He asks.
"What?"
Ray suddenly leans in really close. His tall height shadows over my face as our noses stand mere inches apart.
"So it wouldn't bother you if I did the same?" He said again. "I like you Y/n. Do you like me?"
I stand silently as our eyes are fixed on each other.
"We have to find Alice." I whisper as I try to break eye contact but I feel as if I am caught in his gaze.
"Answer me first." He says. There is no way out.
"Ray..." I mutter. "...please...we have to find Alice."
Ray sighs quietly but does not pull away.
"Alright." He says. "But once we find her I expect an answer. An honest answer."
He finally pulls away and I feel I can breath again.
"Come on." He says as he gestures me forward towards the trail. We walk quietly with me following Ray three steps behind until we finally reach the lake. As we get there Ray stands hesitantly around the tree outskirts as he gestured me to go on without him. I move forward silently and approach the water. I don't even have to call as Merlin's head pops up out of the water. His gaze first falls on Ray before his eyes fall on me and his expression softens into a small smile.
"Hello." He says quietly as his hand draws circles in the water.
"Hello Merlin." I say. Did my voice always sound so weird?
"I need to ask you about something."
"So do I." Says Merlin.
"What is it?"
"I rather ask you in private." He says as he turns to glare over at Ray who, surprisingly, stiffens his ears and growls at him in response. Was there relationship always like this? Or was it because of me?
"You can ask me later." I say. "For now we need to know if you would have any idea where Alice might be. She's missing."
"I know that. Real shame but I can't say I would know."
"Are you sure?" I ask. Merlin stops and brings a hand up rub at his forehead in concentration.
"Actually... I might."
"Really?! Where?"
"There's a small pond at the base of a sheer slope near the back of Seallys house where the girls often used to play as kids. They might be there but I can't be certain."
"We'll go there then." I say excited as I turn and run back to Ray.
"Wait! Y/n, what about our talk?"
"We can talk later. This is really important." I say as Ray and I run out of the clearing and towards Seallys house. I feel bad for leaving Merlin so abruptly but we really must find Alice. As we turn around the corner of Seallys house there is a small path we follow for awhile before it stops at the top of a steep hill. Looking down I can just barely make out the shallow pond below.
"Stay here." Ray orders me.
"What? Why?"
"There might be something dangerous down there and I don't want you getting hurt."
"I want to come." I argue but Ray is not having it.
"Stay here." He orders as he begins stalking down the hill before eventually disappearing into the trees. With him finally gone I take a second to think about what had happened earlier and my cheeks quietly flush red.
"What am I to do?" I ask myself because I already know the answer. I like Ray, but I'm not sure in that way. Even if I did, which I might, it would never work. We are different species and I will only be seeing him till the end of the year at which point I will have to stop coming here. Just like Merlin, I will have to turn him down. As I am thinking this I am suddenly aware of a small noise echo ring from my right along the ridge of the hill. I stand quietly and listen. It sounds like a small cry or whimper and it is definitely human.
"Hello?" I call out into the abyss and the noise stops. Slowly I walk towards where the sound had been. I part the trees and bushes and as I step out into the small clearing I am shocked by what I see. It's Alice.