15. Promises

Theo pov.

I was walking fast through the forest gradually getting closer and closer to Seally's house. I was still angry. I can't believe Y/n would be stupid enough to bring her brother here. This isn't a place for normal humans to be wandering around. I push the thought momentarily aside as I get closer to the clearing but I quickly stop short when I catch sight of Ray further down the forest bend. For the past week I had been avoiding him and for good reason. Seally's potion put Ray through hell and I had no doubt he was out for revenge. I tried to tiptoe through the nearest cluster of trees to get around him but I underestimated Ray's instincts and before I even knew what was happening he was already on me with his hand gripping tightly to the back of my shirt.

"Hey Theo." He said casually as if he didn't have me in a death grip. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Nowhere in particular." I mutter but he easily sees through me.

"You aren't seriously thinking of going to Seally for another potion are you? After all the chaos you caused last week!" He growls and I can see his fur start to bristle and stand on end.

"I'll admit I was going to see Seally but not for what you think."

"What for then?" Ray asks.

"I need to talk to him about those damn mermaids!" I screech.

"Mermaids?" Ray looks at me confused. "What mermaids?"

"Your prissy mermaid girlfriends, Ray." I bark at him. "The ones that hang around you like flies on shit."

Ray furrows his eyebrows and glares at me. I'm actually not entirely sure what his relationship is with those two mergirls but he obviously doesn't like me speaking of them so rudely.

"Sloane and Alice are not my girlfriends." Ray growls. "We are just friends."

"Well your 'friends' have it out for 'my' Y/n so sorry but they have to go." I growl back. At the mention of Y/n's name I can feel his grip on me lossen slightly and his expression vaguely soften.

"What are you talking about?" He asks. He no longer sounds threatening and instead his voice is full of concern. In this moment of weakness I weasle out of his grip and huff as i take two steps back to what I considered was a safe distance from the man who could quite easily rip me in half if he wanted to.

"Sloane and Alice were in on it the whole time. They gave me some of their scales so I could buy the potion from Seally to make you all look like mosters and now that our plan failed they are both really upset and have decided to deal with things on their own."

"What do you mean 'deal'? What are they going to do?" Ray growls as he takes a single threatening step towards me as I step back.

"I dont know...but I dont like it. Seriously now, how dare they even think about hurting my Y/n!"

"So you think they will really hurt her!?"

"Not sure but they were talking about getting potions from Seally to turn her into something like a frog or a bug."

Ray stands there in silence for a minute as his right eyebrow twitches in frustration.

"We cant let them do that." He says at last as he turns his back on me. The ears on his head are pulled back and his tail is straight and bristled. With his back to me I can still hear a low snarl vibrating off his lips and I'm sure that if he was facing me his teeth would be barred.

"Come on." He barks. "Lets go see Seally."

Ray then storms off towards the valley where Seally's house is. In that moment I consider running the opposite directon since Ray seemed pissed and when he's angry he's much more likely to transform and attack. Still I hold back the urge to flee and instead follow him just to make sure he doesnt end up killing Seally or something in his anger which, I'll be honest, at the moment I wasnt entirely against.

In what feels like only a few seconds we come to stop in front of Seally's small house and Ray bangs his fist on the door. There is a few moments of silence and then a voice bellows out.

"Read the sign." Seally mutters sleepily from inside. Ray and I both look at the sign hanging by the door. It says 'closed for the day'.

"LET US IN." Ray growls as he bangs his fist against the door again. There is another moment of silence and then I hear the upstairs window above us creak open. I barely step away in time as a bucket of water is poured directly over Rays head, drenching him from head to toe in what I could only assume was pond water.

"Calm down wolfboy." Seally says as he pokes his head out of the upstairs window and looks down at us. "No need to be so pissed."

Ray shakes the water out his ears and tail and looks up at Seally.

"let us in." He asks again only this time much calmer.

"Fine. Just behave." Seally groans as he dissapears from the window. A couple seconds later and we can hear movement downstairs as the front door swings open and Seally gestures us in. 

"Come sit down." he says and Ray and I waltz into the room. I take a seat on the nearest couch while Ray just stands hovering around me. He still seems mad but it appears the water calmed him down slightly.

"So...what do you want?" Seally asks.

"We want you to make us a promise." Ray says.

"What kind?"

"A promise that you wont sell any potions to the mermaids."

"I cant promise that."

"Why not!?" I ask.

"It would be bad for business to deny clients merchandise." Seally said. "Beside I have no incentive to help you anyway."

"What do you want for incentive?" Ray asks. "Another tooth?"

"As appealing as that sounds I'm afraid I'll have to say no."

"You know a good way to make sure Sloane and Alice dont get any dangerous potions is to make sure there is no potion master here to brew them. Don't you agree Theo?" Ray says as he steps threateningly closer to Seally. Seally doesnt even flinch but isstead smirks at the werewolf.

"We both know that I'm much stronger than you Ray so its best that you dont even try." 

Ray steps back slightly defeated and I start to squirm in my seat at the thought that we werent gettng anywhere.

"Look." Seally began. "I like you two. You are good customers so how about I do you a little favor.  I'll promise to not sell any potions to Sloane or Alice, ok?"

"What do you want in exchange?" I ask.

"Nothing."

"Bullshit. You must want something. You dont make deals like that for free!" Ray barks.

"Lets just say I'm interested in how this little love triangle of yours is going to play out." Seally says with a smirk. "And while we're on that subject allow me to throw you a little bone in telling you I have been requested a very special potion by a certain merman you may be familiar with."

"What?" Ray asks somewhat stunned.

"But thats all I'm going to say."

"What kind of potion?!" I growl.

"Thats all I'm going to say. Now out with you two." Seally says as he grabs us by the amrs and throws us out of his house. I turn around just in time to see the door slammed in my face.

"Damn that Seally!" Ray growls.

"Forget Seally!" I snarl. "We got bigger problems now! What the hell is that merman up to!?"