24. The Cliff

Ray was strong, really strong. He held Alice up by her neck as if she weighed no more than a paperclip.

"Alice." His voice sounded hollow and empty. "What do you think you are doing?"

Alice squirmed about as she sputtered out air and clawed at the hands holding her neck. For a second I just watched, completely frozen in place from both shock and fear.

"Answer me Alice." Ray growled as he shook her slightly in the air. I heard something crack and Alice screamed which was enough to temporarily snap me out of my trance.

"Ray! Stop it!" I yelled as I finally stood up from where I was sitting and ran up to him. I latched onto his right arm and tried to pull it down but it would not budge. "Ray!" I yelled again but to him it was like I wasnt even there. He didnt react at all to my touch or my voice. In rays hand Alice's face was slowly starting to grow more and more pale as she slowly started to stop struggling. I didnt know what to do so I panicked and bit Ray in the arm. Opps.

Ray imediatly let go of Alice as she dropped to the ground with a loud thud and started wheezing as she struggled to regain her breathe. Ray looked down at his arm where my teeth had left a small indent in the flesh and then he looked back up at me. His eyes were still empty but there was a clear expression of shock on his face.

"Did...did you do that?" He asked, a slight shake in his voice.

"I had to." I said quickly. "You weren't listening. You..." My voice trailed off. Was he angry? He kept looking down at the bite and then slowly a smile formed on hs thin lips.

"That felt amazing." He mumbled absently. 

"...what?"

"Do it again!"

Ray thrust his arm into my face and I backed away quickly. Behind us Alice had finally caught her breath and she sat up with pure anger in her eyes.

"YOU'RE FUCKING NUTS RAY!" She screamed as she held her bruised throat. Ray put his arm down from trying to get me to bite him and looked over at her.

"Yes, and?" He asked, pure annoyance written all over his face.

"YOU'RE A DAMNED SICK FREAK! I CANT BELIEVE I EVER LIKE YOU! I CANT BELIEVE WE WERE EVER FRIENDS!"

"You tried to hurt Y/n." He muttered. "You are just as messed up as me."

"YOU KILLED SLOANE!!" Alice screamed.

"What?!" I gasped and Ray's eyes darted back to me as I took three steps back and held my breath.

"It's fine." Ray said in a reasuring voice. "No need to be scared. My actions were totally justified."

"YOU FUCKING LIAR!!" Alice screamed as she threw at rock at Ray which grazed his face and left a clear streak of red across his cheek. He wiped at it with his thumb and then licked the fresh blood off his finger.

"You are really annoying Alice." Ray growled as he completely diverted his attention away from me and focused back on Alice. He began to walk towards her and she tried to scurry back but all that was behind her was the cliff edge so there was no where left to run.

"Please-please stop!" Alice begged as Ray slowly drew closer. "We used to be friends." She breathed. "We've know each other since we were kids. Doesnt that mean anything to you?"

Ray came to a stop as he hovered over Alice. The setting sun behind him cast a shadow over her shaking frame.

"To be honest I don't really care." Ray said as he picked Alice back up by her long pink hair and yanked her up to her feet. "It's true we've known each other for a while but you never meant much to me. Thats not to say I hate you but you just so happened to get in the way." Ray began dragging Alice to the cliff side. "And because you kept getting in the way you had to be dealt with. It's nothng personal."

"NO! STOP!" Alice screamed as she clung to his arm. "PLEASE DONT!"

For a second Ray said nothing and then he swiftly pried her from his arm and held her tightly by the shoulders with her back mere inches from the cliffside.

"Would you prefer if I snap your neck?" Ray asked as simply as if asking to borrow a pencil.

"...go to hell." Alice sighed as she gave up and went limp in his arms.

"You first." Ray retorted and with a small shove he pushed her off the cliffside. For a second there was silence and then I heard her crash into the ground below with a loud crunch in what I'm sure wouldve been an explosion of blood.

'I have to run.' A voice in my head told me as Ray slowly turned back to me. 'I have to get out of here.'

I didnt stop to think further nor did I stop to consider how easily Ray could've caught me, instead I just bolted. Back into the woods I ran, darting around trees and stumbling over bushes. Twice I fell and my knees bled but I kept getting back up and running. I didn't hear him behind me but at the same time I didn't trust my ears. I kept running and running and running until all of a sudden I dint feel the ground below and I fell into water with aloud splash. Dazed, I thrashed around under the water a bit until I felt strong arms wrap around my waist and shoulders. I imediatly paniced thnking it was Ray trying to grab me from the water and began pushing and hitting against them. We quickly broke the surface and a voice reached my ears.

"Stop hitting me Y/n! It hurts!" I imediatly stopped and looked over at them. It was Merlin holding me above the surface of the water with his arms wrapeped around my chest to keep me from sinking.

"Why are you panicking?" Merlin asked. "What's wrong?"

 I said nothing and then I slowly broke down into tears as I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face into his cold chest.

"Y/n?" Merlin asked, confused as he slowly returned my hug. I cried into his chest as he held me tightly in place with one hand while the other pet my head gently.

"It was Ray." I whimpered when I finally was able to swallow some of my tears. "It was Ray. Ray killed Sloane... and I just watched him kill Alice too. He's a monster."

"Y/n." Merlin muttered quietly as he held me. "Y/n have you already forgotton? This is the forest. We're all monsters here."