17. Merlin

"Seally, what are you doing here?"

I had just left Merlin at the lake and had been wandering aimlessly while lost in my thoughts when I finally made it to the forest kings shrine and who do I find sitting there: Seally. He sits with his back facing me huncheed over the small shrne. When he hears me he looks back at me and flashes a small welcoming smile that sits awkwardly on his otherwise cold, expressionless face.

"I'm just out for a morning walk." He mutters. "Dont mind me." He says as he stands up and straightens out his back with a big strectch. Seally is younger than me, most likely, but when we stand so close like this he really isnt much taller than I am, maybe just an inch or two shorter.

"Is something wrong dear?" Seally asks as he turns back to me. "You look flushed."

I put a hand up to my red cheek as I am still blushing like a mad man from Merlins kiss back there. Seally says nothing for a few seconds as he looks me over from head to toe before smiling slyly.

"Was the merman giving you trouble?" He asks.

"How did you know?" I ask astonished. Seally can brew magic potions and shapeshist into small animals so he may also have some sort of mind reading power I dont know about.

"Your pant legs are wet and you look like you just came from the lake." He answers as he points down at my damp pant legs. "Are you alright? Is it anything I can help you with?"

"I just dont understand him, thats all." I mutter. "I barely know anything about these boys and I can just never tell what they are thinking, Merlin especially."

Seally cocks an eyebrow and then smiles at me.

"Please stop that." I say.

"Stop what?"

"Stop smiling. It looks unnatural."

Seally blinks in confusion before nodding in understanding as the smile slipps away from his face.

"You know most people would say its rude not to smile." He mutters as he goes on to whisper some things under his breath. "Anyway we were talking about Merlin. He really is a mystery of a man. He doesnt often share things with others. Still I bet you often wonder about him, am I right?"

"He's my friend and I care about him but I feel as if we are worlds apart. I just dont know much about him. I dont know what he's feeling..." MY mind wanders off to the kiss again and I can feel my cheeks heat up as I try to shake the thought from my mind.

"Listen Y/n, do you ever wonder why it is that Merlin cant leave the water?" Seally asks.

"Because he's a merman." I answer.

"Yes but other merfolk can leave the water. I am sure you have seen mermaids such as Alice and Sloane walk on legs all the time. Don't you wonder why Merlin cant do the same?"

"I've never really thought about it." I mutter. "IS there a reason?"

"Yes. You may find this hard to believe but Merlin is a lot older than he looks and going back about twenty years ago he was a much different person. He was crude and selfish and did everything for his own personal gain. He used to flirt around with all sorts of girls and would have multiple girlfriends at the same time." Seally said.

"Really?" I mumbled as suddenly the kiss from before didnt feel so special. "What does this have to do with him not being able to walk out of water.

"Well you see, there was this witch. She was a very distant relative of mine whose name I cant quite recall, but, Merlin used to flirt with her all the time and snce she was a young and gullible witch she fell head over heals for him. You can only imagine her anger when she found out she wasnt the only girl he was hitting on. She was so overcame with her anger that she cursed poor old Merlin so he could never walk again and trapped him in that small lake where he couldnt flirt with anybody."

"That sounds kind of sad." I mutter.

"He deserved it." Seally cut in. "And after decades of being trapped there it really changed his character. He's turned himself into a real gentlemen now all in the hopes that the witch will one day return and free him of his curse."

"Can't you free him?" I ask.

"What makes you think I can?"

"You seem like you are a strong and capable sorcerer. If anyone I knew could it would be you."

Seally's lips twitch up slightly but he doesnt smile. Instead he walks over to me and with one hand he ruffles my hair.

"I could." He says. "But I wont. I feel he still needs to suffer more. He hasnt yet learned his lesson."

I open my mouth to argue but he shuts it with his hand.

"Don't argue with me." He growls somewhat huskily as he ruffles my hair again and walks off. "I've got to go now." He says. "Good look little miss messenger." He calls over his shoulder as he dissapears into the trees. I stand there in silence for a few seconds before my brain snaps back to reality and I hurry to do my duties so I can go home.