CHAPTER EIGHT

(Vanessa's Pov)

Comfortable wasn't exactly the best word to describe how I felt sitting on the bleachers beside Roxy and her close friend, Minx. They were mindlessly conversing about something whilst I tugged at my red, baggy hoodie's strings, beginning to regret coming here.

Jase and his friend I had seen with him the other day (whose name I had learnt was Samuel) were both on the courtyard, dressed in sports attire, warming up for their game. As always, Jase looked exceptionally good in his red basketball shorts, a black short-sleeve shirt clinging onto his torso. A red bandanna was wrapped around his head, pushing his hair back and black Nike trainers covered his feet.

It amazed me how attractive he could look in such a simple attire.

I bit down on my bottom lip, taking a glance around my surroundings. The basketball court was located in fairly large park. There was a small playground for children a few acres away from the court, and I could see a few benches scattered around everywhere. Some people were taking advantage of that, such as an elder man who was peacefully resting.

A soft breeze balanced in the air and occasionally brushed against my face, bringing a few strands of loose hair to bounce against it. I tucked some behind my ear, knowing it wouldn't stay in place for long. It was a nice day, the sun was out in a late afternoon and the atmosphere itself was just relaxing to be in.

However, as much as the day was nice and quiet, I just felt uneasy being here. More specifically, to watch my dorm mate play with his friend, whilst both their girlfriends sat on the bleachers beside me, leaving me to look like a fifth wheel.

Who would want to be apart of that?

I was brought out of my negative thoughts by Roxy nudging me lightly. I turned to glance at her, seeing her warm smile greet me. Right beside her was her friend, Minx. I believed it was a nickname, but wasn't too sure. She had bright grey eyes, dark blonde hair and to-die-for cheekbones. Minx was nothing short of gorgeous.

"Hey, you okay there?" Roxy asked.

I nodded, smiling lightly. "Yeah... Just waiting for their match to start already."

"It's total fun to watch, once it begins. Especially when some other people try versing them. They get so competitive, it's funny." She grinned at the thought. "Do you like basketball?"

I instantly thought back to my father with the mention of the sport he would always be going on about. My dad was a sporty man, who engaged in absolutely every sort of sport there was. Soccer, tennis, basketball and even cricket. When he was an everyday part of my life, I would often play around with him; meaning I'd always have a horrible attempt at making a shot that would rarely ever go in. I wasn't that fond over the sport at first, but as I came to know more about it, it sort of grew on me. My dad had a large part in that happening.

"I'd say so," I answered, absently chewing on my bottom lip. "What about you? Though I'm assuming you do, seeing as how Jase's games are weekly."

"It's alright, I guess." She smirked at me, leaning into whisper. "It's all worth a sweaty Jase by the end of it all."

I grimaced, laughing. "You're disgusting."

She winked at me, her eyes travelling over to where he was stood. A gleam of longing and adoration crossed her eyes and I couldn't help but feel that little surge of envy. Regardless if whether I wanted to admit it or not, but I too wished I had someone I felt about that way. Someone who I too would make a face like that over.

I frowned, but quickly stopped it from growing, reminding myself it didn't matter. Eventually I'd meet someone and until then, there was no point in worrying. These thoughts of longing wouldn't get me anywhere.