CHAPTER TEN

(Vanessa's Pov)

Why I thought it was a good idea to start baking my beloved mother's banana and chocolate cookies - I had no idea. I just saw the empty kitchen, realized I had nothing better to do and found myself preparing the dessert I was beginning to miss.

You could call me homesick, because I definitely was.

The idea of preparing the cookies was much easier than actually physically doing so. It was much more time consuming than I had thought it to be. Especially when my first attempt at making them went horribly wrong, the end result being throwing them away.

Somehow, I had managed to eventually make them without anything going wrong. Now they were sat in the oven, baking, whilst I cleaned up the mess I had managed to make. Flour was scattered across the counter, a tiny left over ball of dough was present, waiting to be thrown away and the dirty equipment was in need of cleaning.

It was when I had just finished wiping down the counters, I heard the door open. My head shot up instantly, hearing the familiar voices. Their footsteps followed, growing louder as they approached me. 

"Hey, Vanessa." Roxy chirped, making me glance up and offer her a small smile.

"Hey," My eyes darted to Jase beside her for a small second, before returning them back on her.

"What are you making?" She questioned, perky as she hopped forwards, leaving Jase's side.

"Celebration cookies," I grinned. "My Sociology final is over and I think it went well."

"I would hope so. Seeing you revise so much bored me. You put a lot of effort into studying, hopefully it paid off." 

"Thanks, I hope so too." I smiled at her, my eyes absently searching over her face, lingering on her eyes. I wouldn't lie saying I wasn't glad to see they were their normal white colour. 

It had been a week since the incident last Saturday, leading me to discover something new about Roxy. She had a difficult past with drugs, it seemed. After what little Jase had shared, I pieced the puzzle together - but I wasn't aware of everything.

He had also shared the fact he too had a troubled past with them too; which led him to get help in the end. I was curious when he told me that. I hadn't expected him to share something so personal, or even thought he had dealt with illegal substances before. It had never really crossed my mind. 

The apparent rumour about Roxy, appeared to be true. Well, one of them. Britney had enlightened me on the fact my dorm mate's girlfriend dealt with drugs, but also the idea that she was an ex prostitute. With one of her rumours being true, I wondered if the other was also.

Even so, if it was, I still had no real right to judge.

There was always a reason behind everything...

"Ooo, what kind of cookies are these?" Roxy asked, bending down to take a glimpse inside the oven. I snapped out of my thoughts, clearing my throat.

"Chocolate and banana," I shared with a smile, watching her brows furrow in surprise.

"Did I just hear you right?"

I laughed at her taken aback expression, continuing to wipe down the surface filled with specs of flour. "Yeah, you did... My mom used to always make them back home..."

Her expression softened and she bit her lip thoughtfully. "Do you miss her?"

I felt more than one pair of eyes on me, already feeling a warmth of heat travel up to my face. I nodded, glancing towards Jase for a small second. As always, the way he watched me was intense. He was just an overall intense guy. His eyes would closely watch me, almost as if he was trying to figure something out as his brows absently knotted.