CHAPTER TWENTY

(Jase's Pov)

Gently, my finger moved forwards and tucked a strand of hair, that was resting on her face, behind her ear. Her lips were formed into a gentle puffy pout, as her body heaved with every gentle breath. My eyes were focused on the delicacy of her face, taking in how soft yet mature her features were.

Vanessa was truly beautiful.

From her silky, chocolate hair that curtained her face, to her luscious, tempting lips. I could do nothing but stare down at her, entranced by her simple, natural beauty. How we ended up in this position - her body practically on mine, her full breasts pressed against my torso, whilst her arm was casually resting over me - I had no idea.

I didn't move. She didn't move. We stayed in the same position for God knows how long. And honestly, I felt content. It was strange. Peering down to see her deep in sleep, looking so peaceful, it made me feel the same way.

Though I was incredibly comfortable in our position, I couldn't find myself to fall asleep once again. The clock read it was nine in the morning, I had woken up a good thirty minutes ago and had been mindlessly staring down at Vanessa since then. All whilst my thoughts continued to race through my mind, leaving me physically incapable of falling asleep.

My mind went from thinking about Vanessa's beauty, guilty thoughts about how much of a massive, hypocritical dick I was towards Vanessa, over to... Roxy. A small wave of guilty thoughts about what I had done to Roxy arose in my mind, leaving me to grow frustrated with myself.

Had I dealt with the situation right? Was I wrong to have asked for a break from her? Didn't I owe her something after I basically fucking cheated on her? Wasn't I just as bad as her? My mistake wasn't any better than her reoccurring ones? Did I cheat on her to even our mistake?

My mind rushed with a range of thoughts, making me inwardly groan and long for some peace to wash over them. But that was the thing about the human mind. It was a toxic thing. On your own, with your thoughts, it was capable of driving you insane. I hated it. Hated how it could  make the simplest of things so damn complicated.

Shifting, I was brought out of my thoughts by Vanessa's light movement. I watched as she slowly fluttered her eyes opened, followed by a small exhale. Silence balanced in the air as she glanced up at me, her blue orbs beyond beautiful that moment. I saw the shift of emotion in them. From confusion, surprise, to what seemed like... happiness.

I couldn't have imagined that.

"Hi," She whispered, still gazing up at me.

Smiling gently, I murmured back; "Hey."

Silence crept back into the air, and we simply gazed back at each other. I could bet there were a waterfall of thoughts splashing through her mind, just like my own was torturing me with.

She must have released our position, since her eyes dropped to where her arm was resting and how close her breasts where pressed against my chest. A shaky breath left her and a nervous smile etched onto her lips.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't realize." Vanessa trailed off, removing her arm and bringing it back to her side and slowly tried shifting her body away from mine.

"Careful, you'll fall off the bed." I rushed out, reaching out myself and pressing a hand against her back, bringing her back closer to me.

"You're right," She breathed, eyes slightly wide from her near fall off the bed.

Chuckling lightly, I cleared my throat. "So, uh, did you sleep well?"

"Yeah," She softly said. I had forgotten about my hand which was resting on her back and slowly removed it, watching as she flushed in response. It was quite adorable, really.