Chapter Twenty (U)

*Chris’s Point of View*

I woke up in a good mood. I’d slept peacefully; no nightmare.

Why? In all honesty, I think it was because of the knife. I’d fallen asleep without uncertainty or worry or any unpleasant thoughts… Because the knife eased them.

It wasn’t healthy. I knew it wasn’t. But it helped, and I’d take that any day.

This morning, we went back to the kickboxing class; we were still working on kicks. Jadyn was my partner and Haley tagged with Nathan and Dylan to form a group.

It was shortened because the instructor was standing in for a friend who taught another class. We got out fifteen minutes early.

I hung out at Nathan’s place until three; I watched poker games and Twister while the others participated. I didn’t want to chance losing another bet.

Jadyn let me borrow his car to drive home because he didn’t want to stop the game of Twister to drive me.

Dad was home when I pulled up. I parked in the grass and hesitated before opening the front door.

I heard voices coming from the kitchen; dad had friends over.

When I passed the kitchen, I glanced in and frowned. They were drinking.

I dropped my stuff off in my bedroom and came downstairs to get something to drink. Dad ignored me completely, laughing with his buddies.

Pulling out the tea pitcher, I poured tea in a glass I’d gotten out of a cabinet and took a sip. I spit it into the sink immediately.

Ugh. It was some kind of alcohol; I could taste it.

“What the hell?” I asked dad, “What’d you put in the tea?!”

“I needed somewhere to put it; the bottles wouldn’t fit in the fridge,” he told me, his words meshed together.

“Then where’s the tea?” I asked him. “Down the sink,” he started laughing with his buddies again.

“I’m dumping it out,” I said, beginning to pour it down the sink.

“Oh no you’re not,” he said; I did it anyway. He jumped up and yanked the pitcher away from me. “You know how expensive this shit is?” he yelled at me.

I shrugged, “You can live without it.”

“Because you know best, right? Just like always,” he answered, setting it back on the counter. “You’re mother always thought you were smart.” His frown turned into a sneer.

“Too bad you weren’t smart enough to wait until she wasn’t watching the road before you showed her your stupid math test,” he lashed out.