💎Type and Shape💎

Some stones are shining, glamorous—and expensive. Others are rough and seemingly dull—until you connect to their power. Many crystals are tumbled, cut, or faceted to enhance their appearance, but work just as well in their natural form. However, their external shape can alter how their energy is experienced. Some crystals are found in one colour only; others come in several. And colour  as with shape, subtly changes the way crystals work. All crystals generate, store, regulate, transmit, and absorb energy.

Activity: Sensing the Difference

For this exercise you need a variety of crystal types as points, shaped or raw stones, and tumbled crystals. I suggest using Snow Quartz, Clear Quartz, Smoky Quartz, Rose Quartz, Amethyst, and Citrine, which are all types of Quartz but which differ subtly in their energetic emanations.

1. Lay out the crystals in two separate columns on a neutral background, the tumbled on the left and the points, shaped, or raw stones on the right side pointing toward you, about two fingers' width apart.

2. Open the chakras in your palms.

3. With your palms facing down, run each hand in turn down the left-hand column (the tumbled stones) to ascertain your most receptive hand. Your palm may tingle or feel hot or cold.

4. Now with your eyes closed run your receptive hand down the column again, letting yourself feel the energy radiating from the crystals. Don't try to do anything with your mind, just allow yourself to feel the energy through your hands. Then look at and feel the energy of each crystal in turn, telling yourself "This is what Snow Quartz feels like", and so on. With a little practice you'll soon be able to feel how the basic Quartz energy changes according to the specific type of crystal. For example, Snow Quartz has a much slower frequency than Clear Quartz and Citrine positively fizzes.

5. Once you've become familiar with the tumbled crystals, turn your attention to the points and shapes. Points focus energy toward you when the point is facing you, and channel it away when the point faces outward.

6. Put each point in turn on your receptive hand, first pointing it up your arm and then toward your fingers. Notice the difference this makes.

7. Next, you can move on to putting the point above your head. Point it downward first and then point it upward. Then do the same, keeping the crystal between your feet, first pointing it "up" toward the feet, then "down" away from the feet.

When you've had some practice you may like to experiment with other crystal shapes or repeat the exercise with different shapes of the same crystal.

The Effect of External Shape

Although the internal lattice of a crystal, which is not visible to the naked eye, is fundamental to crystal energy, the external shape has a bearing, too. Such shapes may be natural or artificially cut.

Ball: its rounded shape emits energy equally all round; a window to move through time