Meet The Parents

It was several weeks later and everything was going brilliantly. Zoe, Toby, Hannah and Ethan were all extremely happy that Sophie and Robert was now an item. Although nearly everyone said they saw it coming.

In those short, magical weeks Robert had taken Sophie out on many dates; anything from going out to their favourite restaurants, to homemade romantic meals at home, trips to the beach, the zoo, car rides accompanied with star gazing and picnics at their favourite spot at their favourite park. And that wasn't all they did if you catch my drift ;)

In fact, Sophie and Robert were at the park, curled up in each other's embrace on a blanket positioned by the lake, that had a short pier so row boats could dock and people could feed the ducks. They were half covered in shade, cast by the giant tree that they're picnic basket was propped up against and half in the blazing sun and many people walked around them, playing sports, eating ice cream from the ice cream van a short walk away, swimming in the lake and similarly snuggled up against their loved ones in contented silence. It was a rather peaceful moment, a warm, calm breeze blew about, the sun was shining, the birds were singing. Sophie and Robert were truly happy.

"Robert" came Sophie's soft voice a short while later.

"hmm"

"Are you free this Tuesday evening?"

"Well that depends...if you're booking me in for a booty call.." he joked

"It's just I told my parents about us and they want to invite us over to dinner, to meet you properly."

"Oh of course, I'm fairly certain I don't have plans Tuesday. I was planning to spend it with you so this works" he chuckled although the thought of meeting her parents properly, as her boyfriend terrified him.

When Sophie introduced Robert to her parents, it was safe to say her father wasn't a fan. Sophie had invited all her friends over for a BBQ that her parents were holding. Every year they have an annual BBQ gathering where they invite all their friends over. Zoe had been going since these gatherings had begun and Ethan and Hannah would go not long after but Robert was often busy with work so couldn't make them. In fact it was only a few years ago that he managed to attend his first one and meet the parents of his best friend. Everything was going smoothly. There was light mingling between Sophie's parent's friends and her whilst they ate, music was playing, games being played and everyone was having a rather good time until Sophie's father; Edward, felt that Robert was getting too friendly with Sophie and the ladies of party. In actual fact, all Robert had done was nudge Sophie a few times in a friendly manner and Sophie hugged him at one point after she had jokingly mocked the Americans. Robert being the charming and funny person that he was found small talk easy and soon had the small group that he was talking to laughing. Edward probably saw this as flirting, especially as his wife was a part of that small group and was laughing at whatever Robert had said.

He didn't like to see his only daughter and his wife laughing over what another man said. He was meant to be the funny man. The one his little girl would giggle over when he did something silly and his wife would laugh at for his humour. Not some American. Edward felt slightly threatened to say the least.

So when it came to saying goodbye, there was a small amount of tension between Robert and Edward.

It was say to say Robert was nervous about meeting them properly. Sophie had jokingly told him about why her dad had been acting that way shortly after the BBQ and now it was playing on his mind. Even though he had met them several times after at small gatherings, he even accompanied Sophie to her parents' 30th wedding anniversary he couldn't get over the fact Sophie's dad didn't like him...Why was Mr Williams so against me dating Sophie?