4. Frenemies

CATHY'S POV

Vivi and I are leaving Studio C when I run into a screaming woman.

"Abby, that is the stupidest idea I've heard today. You're the psychopath. Go ahead! Call the police! Yes, there's a psycho here- her name is Abigale Miller! I'm leaving your studio, Abby!"

Vivi cowers, and instinctively I shield her from the mother, who's screaming at Abby because her kid forgot to bring the proper dance shoes and Abby refused to let her dance. I'm about to get Vivi out of this argument when the mother turns to face me, and I realise it's Dawn.

"Dawn?" I ask. "What're you doing here?" Dawn was the mother of one of my Candy Apples. Her daughter is about five years older than Vivi. They quit after Dawn got a new job down here in Pittsburgh.

"It's Minister Dawn, to you." she replies snarkily. "And I could ask you the same question myself." Her lip curls into a sneer. She's already flushed from shouting at Abby, and I can tell she's anxious about talking to me.

"Actually, my daughter Vivi is on the competition team." I boast. Even though Vivi competed a couple times in my studio, she's never done dances as advanced as the one she's doing with Mackenzie. I'm so proud of her.

"Well," Dawn says, trying to maintain her I'm better than you act,  "I'll be leaving now, so see you around, Cathy."

"Toodles! Nice seeing ya!" I shout at her retreating form. I'm not letting her think she's won. Eh, if she's leaving Abby's studio then she seems like a bit of a studio hopper to me. The only other good studio 'round  these parts is Studio 19, and they beat Abby's kids all the time. They've got a bit of a rivalry. You know, I'd love to see Vivi beat Dawn's kid- I don't even remember her name- on the dance floor one day. I know Vivi can do it. She's been doing so well with Abby anyways.

VIVI-ANNE'S POV

I didn't really pay attention to the conflict. Dance mom drama is always super boring and melodramatic. Whatever did happen doesn't really affect me.

Abby is working on the trio with Chloe, Paige, and Maddie. As I walk past Studio A, I hear her shouting at them. Honestly, it's not unusual. I've only been here for a couple hours and Abby's already had her fair share of shouting matches. I do notice that she's shouting at them much more harshly than she was correcting me during the duet, which is a bit weird. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Abby is harsher on them than she is on me. But they're good dancers, all three of them. I don't see why Abby is being so harsh on them.

I go to the dressing room. Brooke and Nia are watching Mackenzie play Angry Birds on her tablet. That same game again? Honestly, I've never really been into video games. Books are more my style.

"Yes!" Kenzie says triumphantly. Nia reaches out for a high five, noticing me.

"Vivi! Come here. How was the duet? Are you okay? Kenzie said you got hurt."

"I'm fine. I just slipped, it wasn't a big deal."

Gianna pokes her head into the room. "Vivi, Kenzie, your duet costumes are here! Come try them on."