23. Reflections

VIVI-ANNE'S POV

I wait outside Studio A as Abby does pyramid inside. My mom anxiously fixes my hair, then retouches her makeup. "I can't believe you did it, Vivi. This is your chance to show Abby that you have improved so much since the last time she's seen you.

I nod, not really listening. My mom is great, but I have bigger things to worry about. Besides, I've heard so many motivational speeches from her that they don't really work anymore.

Abby's almost at the part where she announces me. "Now, girls, I bet you're wondering why there's an extra picture on our pyramid today."

"That's because... We have a guest coming!" She walks to the door and opens it. I walk in. The girls' expressions go from surprised to confused to happiness.

"You're back!" Kenzie squeals, running towards me and grabbing me in a hug. The other girls hesitate, but embrace me. I hear Maddie's whisper in my ear.

"I'm glad you're back, but don't ever hurt my sister again. Ever. Or you will pay for it."

Abby clears her throat. "Okay, okay. Let's get back into line!"

Kenzie holds my hand and we stand side by side.

"Okay, girls," Abby announces, "here are this week's assignments. We will have two duets, one solo, and a group dance."

The girls all stare at Abby with hopeful expressions on their faces. It takes me a moment to realize they're all hoping for the solo. For a second, I miss my mother's studio, where the students are all treated fairly. There's never competition for a solo because everyone gets to do a solo at some point in the year.

"Our solo will be going to Brooke."

Maddie and Chloe exchange surprised glances, but everyone hugs Brooke. Paige and Nia don't seem too surprised either, and Kenzie just squeezes my hand.

"Your solo will be an acro lyrical solo called Break Me."

Brooke nods, and Kelly smiles at her.

"Our first duet will be with... Maddie and Chloe."

The girls jump up and high- five each other. Melissa gives Maddie a little thumbs-up, and Christi is nodding at Chloe with a satisfied expression on her face.

"Our second duet will be... Mackenzie..."

I notice Nia giving an excited look at her mother. Of course. They won last competition. I can feel jealousy starting to prick at my heart. I want this duet with Kenzie too. I have to show her and Abby that I deserve to be on the team.

"...and Vivi."

Kenzie wraps me in a hug. "Yay!" she says, giggling.

"Maddie, Chloe, your duet is called Gravity. It will be a contemporary lyrical piece."

Song (Gravity by Sara Bareilles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEXhAMtbaec

"Mackenzie and Vivi-Anne. Your duet is... also called Gravity."

Maddie gives a weird look at her mother. I already know she's confused. There's no way we can do the same duet as each other. Maddie and Chloe are two of the most advanced dancers I've ever met, and I'm nowhere near that level.

"It will be a musical theatre duet-"

I release a breath I didn't even know I was holding. Phew!

"and the song is Defying Gravity from the musical Wicked. Yup, Mackenzie is going to going to be Glinda the Good Witch and Vivi, you're going to be Elphaba, the Wicked Witch."

Song (Defying Gravity): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf9Bt5WFZKs

"I love it!" Mom enthuses. Melissa grins at Kenzie.

Abby frowns. "However, Vivi, you are on probation indefinitely. I saw you improve in leaps and bounds the last time you competed with us. I still expect you to improve. You're not at the same level as Mackenzie and that has to happen if you want to be on this team."

I nod. "I will work my hardest."

"The group number will be called Where Have All The Children Gone. Everyone will be in the dance. Even the little ones."

Kenzie squeezes my arm. "Yes!"

Abby nods, satisfied. "Dismissed. Get some water, and then I want Brooke in here for her solo, yes?"

"Yes, Miss Abby." Brooke says.