34. I Think I Like You

VIVI- ANNE'S POV

I dug into my trash bag labeled 'clothes'. Leave it to Cathy to give me all of my clothes in a trash bag-- rumpled, wrinkled, and squished together.

I finally found a matching set of dancewear and put it on. I yanked at the elastic with surprise. It didn't fit! It was loose. The elastic had been stretched out before, but now it wouldn't bounce back. I frowned, trying another set. Maybe it was just old. I was a size 8, so it should have fit me.

But the same thing happened. Weird. I tried on another set, my favorite one.

Yet again it was too big. I changed back into my pajamas and went to Melissa. Maybe she could help.

"None of my dancewear fits anymore." I told her.

She laughed. "Are you growing?"

"No, it's too big!"

Melissa laughed, but when I showed her she realised I was telling the truth. "Vivi, I think what's happening is that you're training really hard at dance, and so your baby fat is turning into muscle."

She thought for a bit. "Maybe Maddie has some old dancewear you can use. She's a size 8 right now, but last year she was a size 7."

She brought me a ruffled pink top and black shorts. "Try this on."

I was surprised that it fit perfectly. "Thank you so much!"

Abby seemed to notice as well. She pointed it out in the duet rehearsal.

"Look at that, Vivi, your legs are starting to look longer and stronger every day!" She smiled. "You're impressing me more and more every day."

"Thank you, Miss Abby." I chirped.

She turned to Kenzie. "See, this is what happens when you don't sit on your butt all day and eat chips. I wouldn't be surprised if Vivi here was already getting better than you."

Kenzie nodded. But Abby's insult wasn't complete.

"In fact, I don't even know why you deserve a place on this team when you can't even dance close to the other girls. Maybe Vivi should take your spot. I mean, Melissa only needs two little dancers anyways."

Kenzie nodded, a hurt expression on her face. "I'm sorry, I will try harder."

"Oh, you'd better. Because you're going to have to put in some hard work to get anywhere close to improving."

She turned to Gianna. "Isn't it funny how she-" Abby gestured to me- "was the one that needed improvement just a few weeks ago, and now it's her?" She gestured towards Kenzie.

Kenzie tried to ignore her. I could see she was trying her best not to cry.

"Okay girls, from the top with music! Let's go, chop chop!"

Gianna started the music, and we continued rehearsal. I couldn't help feeling that all the tricks were getting easier. The heart-pounding nerves that would happen before my front handsprings were starting to go away. I didn't put my hand down during a single aerial in rehearsal. And Abby was starting to correct me less and less.

Rehearsal ended. Abby wasn't done yet, though.

"Vivi, come here. I'm going to talk to you for a second."

I went over, heart suddenly pounding again. Private talks with Abby usually meant she was about to tell you something bad.

"Vivi."

"Yes, Miss Abby."

"You've really showed me improvement. And I was serious about you replacing Mackenzie on the team. You're taller, so you'll fit in better, and I really think you would work well with the team. And even though you're doing so well, and impressing me so much, I want you to know that there's still a long way to go."

"Thank you, Miss Abby."

"Okay. Now go! Hip hop is starting."

I scurried out of the room, not sure what to think. Abby may have complimented me, but it was a double-sided deal. It seemed like there was a catch: either Kenzie or I could be on the team, or none at all.

And, as per usual, Abby had made another amazing day turn sour.