28. Make You Mine

VIVI- ANNE'S POV

Melissa smiles at me. "Well... Vivi! So I guess you'll be staying with us tonight. Um... let's go back into the studio, you can play with Kenzie, and I'll figure out what we're going to do. Okay?"

I'm still not satisfied. "Thanks, Ms. Ziegler. I really appreciate this. But I really need to know... what did the moms say that drove my mom away?"

Melissa frowns, and her brow wrinkles. "Oh, you know, they were just being their typical selves, you know. They didn't really mean what they said. It's not important. Why don't you go play with Kenzie? I can talk to the moms."

"Sorry, I know I'm six years old, but I think I'm mature enough to handle these types of comments."

Melissa shuffles. "Vivi, don't worry about what those moms say about you. You're a wonderful little girl."

"Thank you, but if I want to improve I have to be able to handle some criticism. And I think it's a good time to start learning how to handle it."

She sighs deeply, glancing at a producer. He nods. "Go for it."

She shifts. "Well... mainly the moms said you weren't as good as the other girls. But, of course, you know you're improving very much. I know you'll be just as good in no time."

I sigh. This is a worthless cause. She's much too concerned to give me the truth. And I suppose that will have to do for now. Maybe later I'll get to hear a bit more of what the moms think of me.

"Well... let's go in, now. I think it will be a nice surprise for Mackenzie, that you're back!"

"I guess so."

We walk into the studio, and I poke my head into the dressing room, to assess the situation. Kenzie's not there. In fact, none of the girls are there. This has the producers' names written all over it.

I go through to the studios. Through the window of Studio A, I see a teen tap class going on-- Brooke and Chloe are inside. Definitely not that room! Studio B is hosting an acro class. I see Nia, Paige, and Maddie practicing their front aerials. Not there. Studio C is empty. Finally, Studio D. If Kenzie isn't there I have no idea where she would be.

Jackpot. In the corner of the room, Kenzie and Abby are sitting on the giant padded tumbling blocks, two cameras directed at their conversation. Nobody's around to see me, so I quietly put my ear to the door.

Abby's muffled voice reaches my ears. "I know you miss Vivi. I wish she could have stayed, too. But things change, and who knows? Maybe one day you'll see her again at a dance competition and you can show her what she's missing.

Kenzie's trembling voice responds. "I don't care. Vivi is my only friend at the studio. And I really wanted to do the duet with her."

Abby faulters. "Well, you have your sister, you have the other girls on the team, they're all your friends too. Aren't they?"

There's a long pause. In that moment, I understand how Kenzie feels. Being the youngest on the team, it's not unusual to feel neglected. Except for Maddie, all the girls are at least 3 years older than us and it would be lonely without me.

I hear a sob. I can't take listening any more. I burst into the studio and run over to Kenzie, wrapping her in a hug. The cameras quickly move to me.

Kenzie gives a cry of surprise. "Vivi? Why are you here?"

Abby looks shocked. "What happened?"

Melissa walks in, shrugging. "I decided I'd take her in for the week, if Cathy wasn't going to do it."

"Thanks, mom! I love you!" Kenzie squeals, breaking her hug with me to hug her mother.

Abby smiles faintly. "Welcome back."

I smile back at her. "Miss Abby, I never planned on leaving."