35. Lights, Camera, Action

VIVI-ANNE'S POV

Melissa helps me load my luggage onto the bus. "There we go. Ready?"

I nod in reply, stifling a yawn. We woke up at 4:30 this morning to get to competition on time, and I'm exhausted.

I climb onto the bus. This time, I'm a little happier about sitting with the girls. Paige beckons me over. "Vivi! Come see this!" Brooke is playing a funny YouTube video on her phone, and I watch over her shoulder.

The bus ride is filled with giggles and inside jokes and Abby has to tell us to quiet down multiple times. It's so much fun, I don't even know why I wanted to read the first time I went on this bus.

Before we even know it, we're at the competition. Abby stands at the front of the bus, towering over the rest of us.

"Girls. I know you've been crazy this entire bus ride. And I haven't done much to stop you."

The girls and I exchange glances. Abby was basically screaming at us to shut up for the whole bus ride. What is she talking about?

"But," Abby continues, "we're at the competition now. And I will not tolerate any of this craziness. Judges can be standing anywhere. So I need you all to be on your best behaviour. And Vivi."

Everyone on the bus turns their attention to me, and I feel myself blushing.

"I know your mom isn't here, but I'm still watching you. You're not a permanent member of the team yet, so don't think you can get away with whatever you want. My eyes will be on you, and by the end of the day maybe we'll see if you deserve a place on this team... or if you should go home." Abby says loudly, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, Miss Abby." I respond quickly.

"Okay, girls. Let's go."

We head off the bus and walk into the competition doors. This one is being held at a high school, so it's not that big.

One thing that people don't necessarily know about competitions is that it's not just going there, competing, and going home. Most competitions also have master classes, which are going on in rooms separate from the competition. And competitions usually last multiple days, because there are too many classes and too many entries to fit into one day.

This competition is only for one day. There are no master classes and stuff. So it's a smaller competition. Usually this is good. This means that you're more likely to win. Maybe it'll help me get on the team.

Our first dance is scheduled for 10 AM. But the competition is running early, so we only have about an hour until our duet gets onstage. It might seem like a lot of time, but with all the makeup and costumes and glitter and every other thing we have to worry about, it really isn't.

Melissa's in charge of three kids now, so Nia's mom Holly gives me a hand with my makeup and the costume.

Kenzie and I rehearse for Abby a couple times. I think Abby kind of likes the dance. She mouths along to the spoken part of the piece, and she was smiling most of the way through. Obviously, we got the standard comments for timing, and technique, blah blah blah. Apparently my left shoulder is becoming a huge issue. I don't really know. Honestly, I just want to get onstage and get this whole thing done with.

Your mind can change in a snap. As Kenzie and I wait backstage, I realize I'm starting to get nervous. This is big. If we don't do well-- if I don't do well... I'm not going to be on the team anymore. Maddie and Chloe wait with us backstage, because their duet is only ten minutes after ours.

I take one last breath as the announcer clears his throat. "Coming to the Hall of Fame stage next, it's a petite musical theatre duet, please welcome act number 37, Mackenzie and Vivi- Anne with 'Gravity'!

Kenzie gives me a nod before we step on stage. I have to get into character as the Wicked Witch. Of course, Kenzie is smiling angelically on the other side of the stage.

Lights, camera, action. I'm ready to go.