s e v e n

Worth the Wait: 7 | Dear Fear
| Laura Marano |

"This a new song?" He asks me.

"Yeah, but it's not completely finished yet. It's all on piano and my label hasn't heard it yet or neither has Kristin. I want to add a little synth-y violin to go with the last half, but I have to even see if they'll allow it on my album." I explain.

"You don't want it to be a single?" He asks. I shrug my shoulders.

"It's not really... a single worthy song. It's super personal and slow and a little sad." I tell him. "Do you want to hear it or not?" I ask, looking over at his face.

"Am I allowed to ask questions after?" He asks me. I nod my head. "Sweet, press play." Taking a deep breath, I nod my head and press play. Except the second I heard the first note I paused it again. "Seriously?" He asks.

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm just nervous. I know I always say I get more and more personal with my stuff but this is seriously... really personal and I honestly don't even know if I'll even show it to the label. And now I don't want to show you because I'm afraid you're gonna judge me!" I complain.

"Oh my god, Laura. Would I ever judge you?" He asks. I give him a look. "In a non-joking way?" He adds. I close my eyes. For a moment, it's silent between the two of us. Until Ross sets his hand on my lower arm and softly speaks up. "At least tell me what it's about." I open my eyes, first staring at Ross' hand against my bare skin, then lift my head up and look at his face.

"Matt." I whisper, looking in his eyes. "How he made me feel about myself and about my purpose in life." I add. "It sounds stupid, and I can't really explain it... but I had a hard time looking past the fact that a guy won't just want me for the fame. That they would want me for me." I quietly explain. "I haven't gotten out much these past six months because I was scared."

"Scared of what?" He asks me quietly.

"Life. Men. Love. The whole sappy shit like that." I whisper.

"What did Matt do to you? Did he hurt you?" He asks.

"He never laid a hand on me that wasn't inappropriate. As much as I hate the guy, he never once came close to ever abusing me. Deep down he's a great guy." I say, dropping my gaze from his eyes down to his chest. "But I didn't tell you a lot of the things he said to me. His words are what hurt me." Ross' hand that was on my forearm slipped down and held onto my fingers like a child holding onto their grownups finger tips.

"Whatever he told you isn't true, you know that, right?" He asks.

"Now I do." I admit, looking at our hands. "It took awhile to get to that point." I whisper, intertwining our fingers. For a second, I just stare at our hands. I furrow my eyes at the familiar feeling in the pit of my stomach, yet the familiar feeling is one that I have never experienced with Ross. Butterflies? Ross gently rubs his thumb against the back of my hand, causing my stomach to do flips. Okay, maybe the alcohol is still in my system.

"You don't have to show it to me if you don't want to." He suddenly says. I snap my eyes away from our hands and look up at his face. Has his eyes always been this mesmerizing? Shaking my head I let go of his hand and feel the butterflies ease the slightest.

"N-no, I want you to hear it. Just... give me a minute." I close my eyes and lean my head bald against the headboard. There is no way in hell I'm feeling like this. I do not like Ross. I'm only feeling this way because I've had some wine and am a little vulnerable when talking about Matt. Right?