Chapter Two

Sonosuke

Sigh.

Another year of school.

Another year that I'm all alone.

Another year I have to live with the regrets of failing the one I truly love.

Ruruka Ando.

I wonder how's she doing.

What would she say to me if she was able to come back for just a moment?

Sigh.

I then looked down at the katana I had just crafted.

Perfect, as usual.

After all, it always has to be perfect.

Always.

I then looked at the time to see that if I didn't hurry that I'd miss dinner.

Guess this is where I take my break from my work.

I then set the katana with the others, and exited my room.

As I walked down the hallways, my eyes saw all the different friend groups and couples that were already starting to form.

Lucky them.

Once I arrived in the dining hall, I grabbed my meal and sat down in a seat in the very back corner in hopes of not attracting attention to myself.

... I really don't want to talk to anyone at the moment...

(y/n)

As Seiko and I were eating our dinner, something caught my eye.

A male sitting all by himself in a corner of the room.

... And he looked depressed...

"Hey Seiko, do you know who that guy is?" I asked while directing Seiko to the male.

Seiko looked where I was directing before answering.

"Yeah. Sonosuke Izayoi; the ultimate blacksmith. Why do you ask?" Seiko questioned.

"Well, he seems lonely. I think I'm going to go say hi." I explained while standing up.

Seiko quickly grabbed my arm.

"I don't think that'd be very wise."

"Why?" I questioned.

"Because... He's not very fond of people talking to him..." Seiko explained.

"But... I can't just leave him all alone while he suffers... Just wait here, okay? I'll be right back." I said before pulling away from Seiko's grasp.

I then headed over to Sonosuke, and sat down next to him.

He didn't even look up.

"Hey. My name's (y/n). How're you doing?"

Sonosuke frowned.

"Why're you bothering me?"

Ouch. Seems like this will be a tough case to crack... But I'm up for the challenge!

"I saw that you were all by yourself, and wanted to see if you were okay. Everyone should have a friend that they can be with." I explained.

"Did you ever consider that I wanted to be by myself? That I don't want any friends?"

Uh...

"That can't be true! Everyone needs at least one person by their side." I explained.

Sonosuke seemed bothered by that statement.

He's suffering... I can feel it...

... And I need to be the one to help him...

Sonosuke

Why is this girl trying so hard to act like she can help me?

... Wait a second... That name... '(y/n)'... I've heard that name somewhere before...

... That's right...

(y/n) (y/l/n); the ultimate peacemaker. Known for helping others to no ends from disputing children to solving world-wide issues. She's truly a legend.

... That doesn't make her efforts any less annoying...

... But that does clear things up...

... Sigh...

"Maybe some people need someone else by their side, but I certainly don't." I explained.

Although I knew I was lying.

I want someone by my side.

But I know that if I did have someone...

.. I'd only fail to protect them...

... Just like Ruruka...

(y/n)

My heart is literally breaking at this moment. This poor soul. It's obvious that he's gone through some tragic things in the past. That's why he's all alone. But I shouldn't try to pry the answers out of him. Instead, I should just try to be his friend. Yeah, that's it!

"And how do you know that? Look, I understand wanting to have some alone time. I get it. You can't always spend time with people and be happy. But there's a certain need in every human being; a need for companionship. And you're no exception. And so... I've made up my mind! I'm going to be your friend! Even if you don't want it at the moment, I won't give up. You need my help. I just know it!" I explained.

Sonosuke looked confused by my outburst, but quickly went back to an empty emotion outlook.

"Fine. Do as you please." Sonosuke said with a sigh.

I smiled.

"Great! I promise you won't regret it. So... I'm going to go back to Seiko now, so that she isn't lonely. Classes start tomorrow, right? Well, I hope that we'll see each other tomorrow in a mutual class." I explained before walking away.

Seiko was waiting patiently for me.

"How did it go?" Seiko questioned.

"Well... He was a bit cold. But I know that there's a warm-hearted person underneath that cold exterior. And I have a feeling I'll be able to get to it." I explained.

"How can you be sure?" Seiko questioned.

"That's easy. I'm the ultimate peacemaker. There's no one I can't reach." I explained.

"Oh..." Seiko's voice trailed off.

Don't worry Sonosuke... I'll help you reach personal peace within yourself. I promise! 

Hello. Hope you're still enjoying the story (despite it still being the beginning of the story). If not, I'd love to hear what I can do to improve. Thanks in advance! Later! =^-^=