The Empty Child

The TARDIS hurtled through space.

"What's the emergency?" Tiaalen asked as she ran into the console room.

"It's mauve," The Doctor explained as Tia joined him in rushing around the console, as the TARDIS shuddered and shook.

"Mauve?" Rose asked

"The universally recognized color for danger,"

"What happened to red?"

"That's just humans. By everyone else's standards, red's camp. Oh, the misunderstandings. All those red alerts, all that dancing," The Doctor looked over at Tiaalen trying to make her smile, but she didn't budge from the concentrated look she had as she helped pilot the TARDIS. He gestured to the object they were following through the Time Vortex on the monitor. "It's got a very basic flight computer-I've hacked in, slaved the TARDIS. Where it goes, we go,"

"And how safe is it?"

"Totally,"

Part of the console exploded.

"Okay, reasonably." The Doctor corrected as Tia sent a glare his way "Should have said reasonably there. Oh, no, no, no, no, no! It's jumping time tracks, getting away from us,"

"What exactly is this thing?" Rose asked

"No idea,"

"And why are we chasing it?" Tiaalen asked

"It's mauve and dangerous. And about 30 seconds from the center of London,"

***

The TARDIS materialized behind some bleak looking houses in London. Rose exited, followed by the Doctor and Tia.

"Do you know how long we can knock around space without having to bump into Earth?" The Doctor asked

"Five days? Or is that just when we're out of milk?" Rose joked but received no response from the Brunette next to her.

"Of all the species in all the universe and it has to come out of a cow," The Doctor joked

"Must have come down somewhere quite close. Within a mile, anyway. And it can't have been more than a few weeks ago. Maybe a month," Tiaalen reasoned

"A month?!" Rose exclaimed. "We were right behind it!"

"It was jumping time tracks all over the place, we're bound to be a little bit out," The Doctor explained

"Yeah...how much is 'a little'?"

"A bit,"

"Is that EXACTLY a bit?"

"Ish,"

"What's the plan, then? Are you gonna do a scan for alien tech or something?"

"Rose, it hit the middle of London with a very loud bang. I'm gonna ask," The Doctor showed Rose his psychic paper.

"'Doctor John Smith, Ministry of Astroids.'" Rose read

"Psychic Paper, tells you..."

"Whatever you want it to tell me, I remember,"

"Sorry,"

"Not very Spock, is it? Just asking?" Rose was watching the Doctor trying to get through a door.

"Door, music, people. What d'you think?"

"I think you should do a scan for alien tech," Tiaalen claimed as she crossed her arms.

The Doctor held his sonic screwdriver to the door.

"Gimme some Spock! For once, would it kill ya?" Rose asked

"Are you sure about that t-shirt?" The Doctor asked

Rose was wearing a garish Union Jack t-shirt. Rose looked down at it "Too early to say. I'm taking it out for a spin,"

The Doctor continued trying to open the lock with his sonic screwdriver. Tiaalen turned around as she heard an eerie voice.

"Muuuu-mmy?"

Tia looked around for the source of the voice.

"Muuuu-mmy?"

The Doctor cracked the lock "Come on if you're coming. Won't take a minute," he and Rose went through the door. Tiaalen didn't follow them but continued looking around for the child.

"Muuuuumy?"

Tia finally spotted the child standing on a roof-top. "Doctor? Rose? There's a kid up there!" Tiaalen realized they were gone and huffed "Bet he doesn't realize I'm gone," Tia ran to try and find a way onto the roof.

***

The Doctor and Rose followed the sound of the voices and music and a waiter. They found themselves in a crowded drinking den, full of smoke and chatter and a singer.

For nobody else gave me the thrill when I have found I love you still, it had to be you, wonderful you

***

Tiaalen ran up the building on top of which the child stood. "Are you all right up there?"

"Muuuuum-my?" The Child called out

Tia ran up the steps that went up the side of the building.

***

It had to be you

The singer finished the song. The audience applauded. The Doctor joined the applause as he approached the stage.

"Excuse me! Excuse me!" The Doctor spoke into the microphone "Could I have everybody's attention just for a mo? Be very quick, eh...hello!" he waved cheerily "Eh...might seem like a stupid question, but has anything fallen from the sky recently?"

Complete silence. The Doctor looked around expectantly. Then, the audience started to laugh. The Doctor stared around at them all, confusedly.

***

Tiaalen finished climbing the steps, but they did not go all the way to the roof-top. The child was standing precariously on the edge.

"Mummy?" the child asked

"Okay, hold on! Don't move!" Tia shouted

The child looked down at her. Suddenly, a rope swung into sight, going up the side of the building seemingly to the rooftop. Tiaalen took hold of it.

***

The audience was still laughing, and the Doctor was still looking around at them all.

"Sorry, have I said something funny?" The Doctor asked

The audience laughed still some more.

"It's just, there's this thing I need to find, would've fallen from the sky a couple of days ago,"

A siren sounded. Immediately, the people started to evacuate the room.

"Would've landed quite near here..." The Doctor looked up at the ceiling, in the direction from which the sirens seemed to be coming. "With a very loud..."

"Doctor..." Rose said, she pointed to a poster tacked to the wall, bearing the legend 'Hitler will send no warning'.

"Bang..." The Doctor closed his eyes in despair.

***

Tiaalen was now climbing the rope.

"Mummy...Balloon!"

The rope came away from the side of the building, Tia stilling hanging onto it. She looked up and saw that the rope was, in fact, hanging from a barrage balloon.

The barrage balloon drifted away, Tiaalen high in the air.

Tia turned around and saw the German planes dropping bombs on London. "I've got a bad feeling about this...Doctor!"